San Vicente Martír de Abando Church (Parroquia de San Vicente Martir de Abando)
Likely built atop a 9th-century hermitage, the San Vicente Mártir de Abando Church is a quieter alternative to Bilbao’s other notable religious buildings, including the Santiago Cathedral. Stop by after visiting the nearby Guggenheim or Bilbao Fine Arts Museum (Museo de Bellas Artes de Bilbao) and, after exploring the interior, admire the impressive bell tower from the tranquil Albia Gardens which surround the San Vicente Mártir de Abando Church.
Things to Know Before You Go
Literary fans can pay homage to the 19th-century Spanish writer Antonio de Trueba at the San Vicente Mártir de Abando Church.
Expect to spend less than an hour here.
San Vicente Mártir de Abando Church is free to enter.
The church may not be fully wheelchair or stroller accessible.
How to Get There
San Vicente Mártir de Abando Church is situated in the Abando neighborhood and is easy to reach on foot from most central Bilbao attractions such as Plaza Moyúa and the Guggenheim. The church is also well-connected by public transit—Abando is the closest metro station, although Moyúa and Bilbao are also nearby.
When to Get There
The church is open daily from the mid-morning to the early evening, although it closes briefly in the mid-afternoon. There’s no bad time to visit the San Vicente Mártir de Abando Church, but you can make the most of your time in the city by stopping by before or after guided tours of nearby attractions, such as the Guggenheim or Fine Arts Museum.
Churches of Bilbao
Fans of religious architecture will find plenty to love about Bilbao. If you have limited time to see the sights, make a beeline for the Santiago Cathedral which is known for its Gothic Revival facade and ornate main portal on Correo Street. It’s also worth venturing east to admire the 16th-century Basilica of Begoña, which hosts major festivities every August and October.
- Things to do in Basque Country
- Things to do in Santander
- Things to do in San Sebastian
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Bordeaux
- Things to do in Segovia
- Things to do in Madrid
- Things to do in Toulouse
- Things to do in Toledo
- Things to do in Tarragona
- Things to do in La Coruna
- Things to do in Nantes
- Things to do in Santiago de Compostela
- Things to do in Aquitaine
- Things to do in Castile and León
- Zubizuri Bridge
- Arriaga Theatre (Teatro Arriaga)
- Moyua Square (Plaza Moyúa)
- Artxanda Funicular (Funicular de Artxanda)
- Casco Viejo
- Bilbao's Santiago Cathedral
- Bizkaia Museum of Archaeology
- Azkuna Zentroa
- Basque Museum (Museo Vasco de Bilbao)
- Guggenheim Museum
- Bilbao Fine Arts Museum (Museo de Bellas Artes de Bilbao)
- Doña Casilda Iturrizar Park
- Euskalduna Palace (Palacio Euskalduna)
- Itsasmuseum Bilbao