Fountain of Neptune (Fontana del Nettuno)
Sitting in the center of the side of Piazza Maggiore known as Piazza del Nettuno, this marble-and-bronze fountain features a muscular statue of Neptune holding aloft a trident—the inspiration for the logo of the Maserati car manufacturer, which was founded in Bologna—set on a base with circular pools, four spouting sirens representing the four continents, and four cherubs representing the winds. The Fountain of Neptune is a top sight in city walking or bike tours that include Piazza Maggiore, Bologna’s main square and home to the massive Basilica di San Petronio. Bologna is also known for its excellent cuisine, so opt for a food tour if you’d like to combine sightseeing with samples of local dishes.
Things to Know Before You Go
Piazza Maggiore is pedestrian only, so children can explore without the danger of traffic.
Dress for the weather and wear comfortable shoes if joining a bike or walking tour.
The square and fountain are wheelchair accessible.
Cafés and restaurants line the square around the fountain, so you can stop for a snack or meal.
How to Get There
The Fountain of Neptune is located in Piazza Maggiore, the main square in Bologna’s historic center. You can easily reach the square on foot from the Bologna Centrale train station or the most important attractions in the city center.
When to Get There
Although it’s lovely during the day, the fountain is particularly beautiful at night, when it’s dramatically illuminated along with the basilica and palaces lining the square.
Piazza Maggiore, Bologna’s Beating Heart
In addition to the Fountain of Neptune, Piazza Maggiore is home to the Basilica di San Petronio and a number of historic porticoed palaces, now filled with bustling restaurant and cafés. Experience Bologna’s vibrant atmosphere with a visit to the square to linger with locals and students over lunch or afternoon drinks.
- Things to do in Emilia-Romagna
- Things to do in Modena
- Things to do in Ferrara
- Things to do in Ravenna
- Things to do in Florence
- Things to do in Chianti
- Things to do in Parma
- Things to do in Verona
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Venice
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in Genoa
- Things to do in Milan
- Things to do in Tuscany
- Things to do in Veneto
- Bologna Piazza Maggiore
- San Petronio Basilica (Basilica di San Petronio)
- Prendiparte Tower (Torre Prendiparte)
- Anatomical Theatre of the Archiginnasio (Teatro Anatomico dell'Archiginnasio)
- Two Towers (Due Torri)
- Oratory of Santa Cecilia (Oratorio Di Santa Cecilia)
- Basilica of San Domenico (Basilica di San Domenico)
- Basilica of Santo Stefano (Basilica di Santo Stefano)
- Bologna University Quarter
- Albergati Palace (Palazzo Albergati)
- National Gallery of Bologna (Pinacoteca Nazionale di Bologna)
- Sanctuary of the Madonna of San Luca (Santuario della Madonna di San Luca)
- Ducati Museum (Museo Ducati)
- Marconi Museum (Museo Marconi)
- Lamborghini Museum (Museo Lamborghini)