Prendiparte Tower (Torre Prendiparte)
The 12-story Torre Prendiparte, also known as Torre Corona, was built in the 12th century by the Prendiparte family and is second in height only to Asinelli Tower, one of the city’s famously listing Two Towers (Due Torri). The rooms on the third, fourth, and fifth floors were once used as prison cells; you can still make out inscriptions and graffiti left by former prisoners on the walls. Your long climb up to the rooftop terrace is rewarded with one of the best scenic overlooks in Bologna, but be sure to purchase tickets in advance to avoid the line that can form at the entrance.
Things to Know Before You Go
Kids love the thrilling perch on the top of the tower, where there is a high parapet lining the observation terrace.
There is no covering on the rooftop platform, so dress for the weather.
Bring your camera to capture the sweeping views over the rooftops of Bologna.
The rooftop is only accessible via stairs, so the tower is not wheelchair-accessible.
Torre Prendiparte now houses a B&B, but the historic prison cells and rooftop can be accessed by the public.
How to Get There
Torre Prendiparte stands over Piazzetta Prendiparte in the heart of Bologna’s historic center, a short walk from Piazza Maggiore and the Bologna Centrale train station.
When to Get There
The best light for photographing Bologna’s rooftops from the top of Prendiparte Tower is in the early morning or late afternoon. The rooftop scenic overlook is not covered, so visit on a clear day.
The Two Towers
The most famous of Bologna’s historic towers are the Two Towers, a symbol of the city with their whimsical tilts. The taller Asinelli Tower also has a rooftop terrace with 360-degree views over the city and surrounding countryside.
- Things to do in Emilia-Romagna
- Things to do in Modena
- Things to do in Ferrara
- Things to do in Ravenna
- Things to do in Florence
- Things to do in Chianti
- Things to do in Parma
- Things to do in Verona
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Venice
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in Genoa
- Things to do in Milan
- Things to do in Tuscany
- Things to do in Veneto
- Oratory of Santa Cecilia (Oratorio Di Santa Cecilia)
- Fountain of Neptune (Fontana del Nettuno)
- Two Towers (Due Torri)
- Bologna Piazza Maggiore
- San Petronio Basilica (Basilica di San Petronio)
- Anatomical Theatre of the Archiginnasio (Teatro Anatomico dell'Archiginnasio)
- Bologna University Quarter
- Basilica of Santo Stefano (Basilica di Santo Stefano)
- Basilica of San Domenico (Basilica di San Domenico)
- Albergati Palace (Palazzo Albergati)
- National Gallery of Bologna (Pinacoteca Nazionale di Bologna)
- Sanctuary of the Madonna of San Luca (Santuario della Madonna di San Luca)
- Ducati Museum (Museo Ducati)
- Marconi Museum (Museo Marconi)
- Lamborghini Museum (Museo Lamborghini)