Rope Street (Strada Sforii)
The narrow and winding Rope Street was first built in the 17th century as an access route for firefighters. Today, it’s a popular tourist attraction and meeting place. The street is signposted on both ends, and also features a number of murals and artwork on its walls. Look up as you wander down Rope Street, and find the big Brasov sign on top of Mount Tampa peeking above the walls.
Most sightseeing tours of Brasov will include a stop at Rope Street, along with other popular attractions like the Black Church, Council Square, and the First Romanian School. It’s also possible to visit as part of a sightseeing tour that also includes stops at some of Transylvania’s top attractions, including Bran Castle and Peles Castle.
Things to know before you go
- It’s free to enter Rope Street.
- Don’t forget your camera; this is a favorite photo spot for visitors to Brasov.
- Rope Street is extremely narrow and may not be appropriate for those with claustrophobia.
- Full-day tours from Bucharest can last around 10 hours.
How to get there
Rope Street is located near central Brasov, just off of Council Square (Piata Sfatului). It’s located between Cebului Street and Poarta Schie Street. Look for a small sign overhead marking the street. Brasov is located about 100 miles (161 kilometers) north of Bucharest.
When to get there
Rope Street can be visited at any time. Visit during the day to better view the murals and paintings that decorate the walls. The Rope Street Museum is open daily, except for Mondays, from 9am to 9pm.
Rope Street Museum
The museum features a photo exhibition of Rope Street, Brasov, and area castles and churches. A number of city miniatures showcase historical city architecture. The museum also includes a café and a souvenir shop with items made by local artists.
- Things to do in Transylvania
- Things to do in Sighisoara
- Things to do in Sibiu
- Things to do in Otopeni
- Things to do in Bucharest
- Things to do in Cluj-Napoca
- Things to do in Iasi
- Things to do in Sofia
- Things to do in Budapest
- Things to do in Istanbul
- Things to do in Krakow
- Things to do in Dubrovnik
- Things to do in Bratislava
- Things to do in Wallachia
- Things to do in Black Sea Coast