Belfry of Bruges (Belfort van Brugge)
As one of Bruges’ most iconic sights, the belfry is featured on most city tours, including historical tours, private tours, and full-day excursions from other European cities. You can climb to the top of the tower for picture-perfect views across Bruges or take time to explore the site’s former treasury, curated galleries, or carillon room at your own pace.
Some multi-day packages depart from as far away as England, visiting Bruges along with other must-see European cities such as Amsterdam. Other options include self-guided tours or photoshoots outside the striking landmark.
Things to know before you go
- Be prepared for a steep climb, with 366 steps to the top of the tower.
- Wear comfortable and sturdy shoes, as the stairs are narrow and winding.
- There is no elevator available, so the tower is not wheelchair-accessible.
- Some tours and multi-attraction passes include admission; otherwise, there is a charge to enter the belfry.
How to get there
The belfry is located on Markt Square, within easy walking distance of Bruges’ other Old Town attractions. Tram lines 4, 13, and 14 all stop nearby at Brugge Markt station.
When to get there
Ticket lines for the Belfry of Bruges can stretch for more than an hour during peak times. Arrive first thing in the morning or by late afternoon to minimize time spent waiting. Weekdays tend to be less crowded than weekends, especially in winter.
Best of Old Town Bruges
Bruges’ compact historic center is highly walkable, so after your visit to the belfry, you can easily check out neighboring attractions like the Bruges Historium, where themed rooms recreate life in medieval Bruges. Learn how Belgium became the king of chocolate at the Choco-Story Museum or taste Belgian craft beer street from the source at the interactive Bruges Beer Experience.
- Things to do in Flanders
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Rotterdam
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Amsterdam
- Things to do in Stansted Mountfitchet
- Things to do in London
- Things to do in Horley
- Things to do in Marne-la-Vallée
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Nord-Pas de Calais
- Things to do in South Holland
- Bruges Beer Museum (Brugs Biermuseum)
- Historic Centre of Bruges (Historisch Centrum van Brugge)
- Historium Brugge
- Burg Square
- Basilica of the Holy Blood (Heilig-Bloedbasiliek)
- Bruges City Hall (Stadhuis van Brugge)
- Choco-Story, the Chocolate Museum
- Canals of Bruges (Brugse Reien)
- Friet Museum
- Church of Our Lady (Onze-Lieve-Vrouwekerk)
- Old St. John Site (Site Oud Sint-Jan)
- Sint-Janshospitaal (Saint John’s Hospital)
- Diamond Museum (Diamantmuseum)