Choco-Story, the Chocolate Museum
Explore 4,000 years of chocolate-making history at this engaging museum. The exhibits are divided into three parts, focused on the history of chocolate, how Belgian chocolate is made, and then the demonstration room where you can watch the chocolatiers in action. All this is followed by the chocolate tasting, the highlight of the visit for many people.
For even more chocolatey goodness the museum also organizes chocolate walks around Bruges, revealing the most important locations in the city’s chocolate-making history.
Recent reviews from experiences in Bruges
Things to Know Before You Go
- The museum can get busy—save time by purchasing your ticket in advance.
- Entrance to the museum is via paid ticket—discounts are available for seniors, children, and students
- The museum is spread out over several floors. There are lifts for wheelchairs but some sections are only accessible via steps.
How to Get There
The museum is located at Wijnzakstraat 2, in the center of Bruges. It’s easy to get here on foot from other parts of the city center. The nearest bus stop is at Central Market Place, a short walk away. By bus, it’s 10 minutes to the central station with train connections to the airports in Brussels or Lille.
When to Get There
The museum is open every day except for major public holidays. It’s also closed the first week in January. it’s busiest on Saturdays so plan to visit on a different day for a quieter experience.
Visit the Diamond Museum
If there’s one other thing that Belgium is famous for besides chocolate, it’s diamonds! Learn where diamonds come from, see rough diamonds being polished and discover what makes each gemstone a particular quality with the hand-on exhibits at the Diamond Museum. If your budget in Bruges doesn’t extend to buying yourself some diamonds you can still get up close to the gems here.
- Things to do in Flanders
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Rotterdam
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Amsterdam
- Things to do in Stansted Mountfitchet
- Things to do in London
- Things to do in Horley
- Things to do in Marne-la-Vallée
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Nord-Pas de Calais
- Things to do in South Holland
- Friet Museum
- Historium Brugge
- Basilica of the Holy Blood (Heilig-Bloedbasiliek)
- Burg Square
- Bruges Beer Museum (Brugs Biermuseum)
- Historic Centre of Bruges (Historisch Centrum van Brugge)
- Belfry of Bruges (Belfort van Brugge)
- Bruges City Hall (Stadhuis van Brugge)
- Jerusalem Church (Jeruzalemkerk)
- Canals of Bruges (Brugse Reien)
- Lace Centre & Museum (Kantcentrum)
- Church of Our Lady (Onze-Lieve-Vrouwekerk)
- Old St. John Site (Site Oud Sint-Jan)