Ways to visit Groeningemuseum
The Groeningemuseum is often overlooked by visitors to Bruges, which is a shame given that it houses works by some of the most revered artists in European history. Here you’ll find pieces by artists the likes of Jan van Eyck, Rogier van der Weyden, and Hugo van der Goes, along with Hieronymus Bosch’sThe Last Judgement. The museum is also home to many pieces by Gerard David, includingThe Judgment of Cambyses, which depicts the corrupt Persian judge Sisamnes being flayed alive.
Things to know before you go to Groeningemuseum
The Groeningemuseum is a must-visit for art lovers.
The entrance fee includes admission to the neighboring Arentshuis, an 18th-century mansion that houses the work of the Belgian-British artist Frank Brangwyn.
An English audio guide is available, and there is detailed information in four languages in each room.
The museum is fully wheelchair-accessible.
How to get to Groeningemuseum
The Groeningemuseum is situated in the heart of Bruges, just east of the Bonifacius Bridge. It’s close to the canalside flea market, about a 6-minute walk from both the Markt and the Burg. Many local buses stop nearby.
When to visit Groeningemuseum
The Groeningemuseum is open Tuesday through Sunday from 9:30am to 5pm, except on Christmas and New Year's Day. Special events and lectures are held here throughout the year, but they are often conducted in Dutch. Unlike many European art museums, the Groeningemuseum does not suffer from large crowds, even in the peak summer tourist season.
Jan van Eyck’s Madonna with Canon Van der Paele
One of the most famous pieces in the museum is Jan van Eyck’s Madonna with Canon Van der Paele. Completed in 1436, this piece is celebrated for its fine detailing and the use of multiple layers of oil and varnish to achieve texture and depth. It’s considered one of the 15th-century Flemish master’s most ambitious works.
- Things to do in Flanders
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Rotterdam
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Amsterdam
- Things to do in Stansted Mountfitchet
- Things to do in London
- Things to do in Horley
- Things to do in Marne-la-Vallée
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Nord-Pas de Calais
- Things to do in South Holland
- Canals of Bruges (Brugse Reien)
- Church of Our Lady (Onze-Lieve-Vrouwekerk)
- Sint-Janshospitaal (Saint John’s Hospital)
- Old St. John Site (Site Oud Sint-Jan)
- Diamond Museum (Diamantmuseum)
- Bruges City Hall (Stadhuis van Brugge)
- De Halve Maan Brewery
- Burg Square
- Belfry of Bruges (Belfort van Brugge)
- Princely Beguinage Ten Wijngaarde (Begijnhof)
- Bruges Beer Museum (Brugs Biermuseum)
- Basilica of the Holy Blood (Heilig-Bloedbasiliek)
- Historic Centre of Bruges (Historisch Centrum van Brugge)
- Historium Brugge