The Marshal de Vauban was a French military engineer whose UNESCO-listed structures are found across northern France; upon acquiring the Château de Bazoches, he fortified the landmark and turned it into a military garrison. Today, the beautifully preserved landmark demonstrates his architectural ingenuity. Following recent renovations, the castle’s extraordinary courtyards and libraries are open to the public.
The Château de Bazoches is a popular location for visiting architecture and history buffs; self-led tours offer the best way to explore the landmark.
Things to know before you go
- Set aside approximately 1.5 hours for a self-led tour; written guides are provided in multiple languages.
- Disabled visitors and children under seven can visit the château for free.
- Due to its heritage architecture, only select areas of the castle are accessible to wheelchair users.
- A gift shop is hosted on site.
- Roman–era walking trails, sheltered by trees, connect the castle with the local village.
How to get there
The castle is located just six miles (10 kilometers) from the nearby hub of Vézelay, and is also within day-trip distance of Paris and Dijon. Traveling by car is the most direct way to visit the castle; a 94-space parking lot is hosted on site.
When to get there
The Château de Bazoches is open for most of the year, generally from early February–early November. Visiting hours vary significantly from month to month, so it’s advised to research its entry details in advance of your visit.
Though the château itself makes a uniformly grand impression, there are several particular highlights of the landmark worth discovering. The ground-floor gallery, where Vauban’s teams of civil engineers once worked, is the largest room in the castle; while Vauban’s former bedroom is sumptuously outfitted with heritage furnishings, including a canopy bed.
- Things to do in Dijon
- Things to do in Lake Geneva
- Things to do in Rhône-Alpes
- Things to do in Alsace
- Things to do in Geneva
- Things to do in Lyon
- Things to do in Annecy
- Things to do in Montreux
- Things to do in Basel
- Things to do in Central Switzerland
- Things to do in Swiss Alps
- Things to do in Île-de-France
- Things to do in Provence
- Things to do in Lombardy
- Things to do in Loire Valley
- Guedelon Castle
- Château de Meursault
- Fallot Mustard Mill (La Moutarderie Fallot)
- Hospices de Beaune
- Domaine Debray
- Clos de Vougeot
- Route des Grands Crus
- Dijon Ducal Palace (Palais des Ducs et des Etats de Bourgogne)
- Hôtel de Vogüé
- Dijon Cathedral (Cathedral of Saint Benignus of Dijon)
- Rue des Forges