Ways to visit Lough Corrib
Beyond its natural beauty and fishing potential, Lough Corrib is also a Special Area of Conservation for recent historic discoveries. Objects dating back to the Bronze Age and the Iron Age have been discovered, such as dugout canoes. A 10th-century ship carrying several Viking battle axes was also found. Lough Corrib is a stop during tours of Connemara from Galway City and is the site of several fishing tours.
Things to know before you go to Lough Corrib
- Lough Corrib is a must-see destination for travelers seeking the natural beauty of the west of Ireland.
- The lake is famous for the 365 islands that dot the lake, most famously Inchagoill Island that has ruins from a 5th century monastery.
- Cruises of Lough Corrib depart from several locations including Cong, Ashford Castle, Galway City, and Oughterard.
- A license is required in order to fish for salmon.
How to get to Lough Corrib
Lough Corrib is on the border of two counties: Galway and Mayo. It is near Connemara National Park and west of Ireland landmarks such as Kylemore Abbey. The five-star hotel Ashford Castle is located on the banks of the lake and many rooms overlook the water. The lake can be accessed from several points along its banks; the village of Cong is a popular place to set off on a boat tour.
When to visit Lough Corrib
The most popular time of year to visit Lough Corrib is during the summer when the days are long and sunlight lasts until well after 10pm. The spring and fall seasons are also attractive months for travelers looking to avoid the summer crowds. Fishing draws many visitors; trout and salmon season is from February to September.
The Village of Cong and the Quiet Man
Located on the banks of Lough Corrib, the village of Cong is famous for its connection to the 1952 Film The Quiet Man starring John Wayne and Maureen O’Hara. Film buffs may want to check out the museum dedicated to the film located in Cong.
- Things to do in Western Ireland
- Things to do in Shannon
- Things to do in Limerick
- Things to do in Killarney
- Things to do in Dingle
- Things to do in Cork
- Things to do in Kenmare
- Things to do in Cobh
- Things to do in Dublin
- Things to do in Belfast
- Things to do in Liverpool
- Things to do in Glasgow
- Things to do in Cardiff
- Things to do in South West Ireland
- Things to do in West Midlands