Bastions Park (Parc des Bastions)
Bastions Park is a well-known gathering place that's popular among locals, including University of Geneva students. Rejuvenate in the park after exploring the Old Town, or following a visit to the nearby Rath Museum (Musée Rath). While you're there, check out the Reformation Wall—a monument to Swiss Reformation leaders—and enjoy a snack at the park's café. Consider arriving on your own, or try a Segway tour to cruise through the park while visiting top city attractions.
Things to know before you go
- Bastions Park is great for sightseeing, since the University and Library of Geneva, and the Palais Eynard, are situated within the park.
- The park is a great destination all year round—visitors find historic landmarks, food kiosks, and manicured lawns and walkways.
- The park is open to the public every day, and is free to visit.
How to get there
The main entrance gate of Bastions Park is situated at the Promenade des Bastions. You find the Rath Museum and Music Conservatory across the street. Though you can easily walk to the park, public transit is also an option. You can take the 3, 5, or 36 bus—or the 12, 14, or 18 tram—to the Place de Neuve Station. The park's ornate, gated main entrance is steps away from the transit stop.
When to get there
There's never a bad time to visit Bastions Park. In the spring, flower displays are marvelous, while in summer, green lawns for sunbathing abound. Families enjoy kids' play areas and can take advantage of free ice skating all winter. The park is less busy at night, and its paths are well-lighted, making it an ideal destination for an after-dinner walk.
Where to Enjoy Incredible Views of the Alps
For stunning mountain views, take a short hike from Bastions Park—just up the hill—to Treille Promenade. This sun-drenched park offers unparalleled views of the Alps, and has one of the longest wooden benches in the world, at 413 feet (125 meters). This hilltop spot provides an unrivaled, selfie-friendly photo opportunity. To get there, walk up Rampe de la Treille, from Place de Neuve.
- Things to do in Lake Geneva
- Things to do in Annecy
- Things to do in Montreux
- Things to do in Lyon
- Things to do in Dijon
- Things to do in Turin
- Things to do in Basel
- Things to do in Lucerne
- Things to do in Ferno
- Things to do in Langhe-Roero and Monferrato
- Things to do in Zurich
- Things to do in Lake Como
- Things to do in Milan
- Things to do in Rhône-Alpes
- Things to do in Burgundy
- Maison de Rousseau & de la Littérature (MRL)
- Rath Museum (Musée Rath)
- Tavel House (Maison Tavel)
- Barbier-Mueller Museum (Musée Barbier-Mueller)
- Geneva Old Town (Vieille Ville)
- St. Peter's Cathedral (Cathédrale St-Pierre)
- International Museum of the Reformation (Musée International de la Réforme)
- Geneva Museum of Art and History (Musée d'Art et d'Histoire de Genève)
- Patek Philippe Museum
- Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art (MAMCO)
- Geneva Contemporary Art Centre (Centre d'Art Contemporain Genève)
- Baur Foundation, Museum of Far Eastern Art
- Geneva Ethnography Museum (Musée d'Ethnographie de Genève)
- Flower Clock (Horloge Fleurie)
- English Garden (Jardin Anglais)