Clark County Museum
Step back in time as you walk through restored historic homes that once resided in other locales around the state’s southernmost county, and get spooked in a reconstructed ghost town. The museum also includes a vast outdoor area with old trains, as well as an indoor exhibit space showcasing a timeline of Nevada from prehistoric times to present day.
Find plenty of information about the American Indian tribes who lived in the county, railroad development, and the famous Anna Roberts Parks. Guided tours from Las Vegas are available, and typically include stops at other area museums.
Things to know before you go
- The Clark County Museum makes a convenient stop if you’re driving to the Hoover Dam.
- Inside the chapel, you can browse wedding albums featuring couples who tied the knot there.
- There’s an on-site gift shop that sells handmade American Indian dolls.
- Travelers recommend wearing comfortable shoes for walking.
How to get there
Located at 1830 South Boulder Highway in Henderson, Nevada, the Clark County Museum is about 30 minutes from the Las Vegas Strip by car via I-515. Some guided tours do provide roundtrip transportation from hotels on the Strip. If you don’t have a car, it’s worth taking the shuttle from the Strip to nearby Sam’s Town, then grabbing a taxi from there to the museum.
When to get there
The Clark County Museum is open daily from 9am until 4:30pm; it’s closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s Day. Keep in mind that this is an outdoor museum in the desert, which typically gets severely hot and dry in the summer months. So be prepared with plenty of water and sunscreen if you plan to visit during that time.
Another blast from the past, the Neon Museum contains an impressive collection of signs from historic Las Vegas buildings. Discarded signs from hotels such as the Stardust, Moulin Rouge, Desert Inn, Aladdin, and Flamingo now lay to rest in what’s known as the Boneyard. The museum is sometimes combined with the city’s other attractions like the Mob Museum on guided tour itineraries.
- Things to do in Nevada
- Things to do in Palm Springs
- Things to do in Flagstaff
- Things to do in Sedona
- Things to do in Anaheim & Buena Park
- Things to do in Los Angeles
- Things to do in Long Beach
- Things to do in Santa Monica
- Things to do in Scottsdale
- Things to do in Phoenix
- Things to do in La Jolla
- Things to do in Monument Valley
- Things to do in Paso Robles
- Things to do in Arizona
- Things to do in California
- Lake Mead National Recreation Area
- Hoover Dam
- Black Canyon River
- Lion Habitat Ranch
- National Atomic Testing Museum
- Las Vegas Sky Zone
- Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas Sign
- Carroll Shelby Museum
- Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino
- Casino at the Tropicana Las Vegas
- Shark Reef Aquarium at Mandalay Bay
- Bodies: The Exhibition
- Luxor Las Vegas Hotel & Casino
- Titanic: The Artifact Exhibition
- MGM Grand Las Vegas Hotel & Casino