Measuring 670 feet (204 meters), Chapel Bridge was first constructed around 1367 as part of Lucerne’s fortified city walls. At one end sits an octagonal stone tower used at times as a dungeon and a treasury vault, and at the other, St. Peter’s Chapel, for which the bridge is named. As one of the city’s most famous landmarks, it’s a stopping point on many guided tours of Lucerne.
A fire in 1993 severely damaged the bridge, and many of the more than 100 17th-century painted panels were destroyed—25 were saved. Since then, the bridge has been fully restored and paintings that were in storage were brought out to replace those damaged. Some burned panels remain as a reminder of the fire.