Church of San Maurizio al Monastero Maggiore (Chiesa di San Maurizio al Monastero Maggiore)
Built in the early 1500s, San Maurizio al Monastero Maggiore is one of the oldest surviving structures in Milan. The church is attached to a Benedictine convent—the oldest convent in the city—which today houses the archaeological museum. The church is often featured on Milan history and art tours, which typically include a visit to da Vinci’s famous The Last Supper with skip-the-line admission. For a personalized experience, book a private tour to explore the ancient structures of Milan and the city’s hidden gems.
Recent reviews from experiences in Milan
Things to Know Before You Go
The Chiesa di San Maurizio al Monastero Maggiore is a must-see for art and architecture lovers.
Entrance to the church is free.
Visitors with limited mobility can access the church through the archaeological museum.
Groups of more than 10 must book at least two weeks in advance, and only two groups are allowed in the church at any given time.
How to Get There
San Maurizio al Monastero Maggiore is located at Corso Magenta 15. To get there by public transit, take the M1 metro line to Cadorna or Cairoli. Alternatively, take tram 16 to Corso Magenta via Nirone or Via Meravigli.
When to Get There
The church is open Tuesday to Sunday from 9:30am to 7:30pm. Milan gets very busy during the summer season, so it’s a good idea visit the church during the shoulder seasons due to its small size.
The “Sistine Chapel of Milan”
The opulent Chiesa di San Maurizio al Monastero Maggiore is one of the most revered churches in the city, along with the famous Milan Cathedral (Duomo di Milano). It was rebuilt during the Renaissance era, and many artists from the school of Leonardo were commissioned to paint its frescoes. Restored over 30 years into the 2010s, the church’s more than 40,000 square feet (4,000 square meters) of frescoes earned it the nickname the “Sistine Chapel of Milan.”
- Things to do in Lombardy
- Things to do in Ferno
- Things to do in Lake Como
- Things to do in Parma
- Things to do in Genoa
- Things to do in Langhe-Roero and Monferrato
- Things to do in Turin
- Things to do in Verona
- Things to do in Davos
- Things to do in Lucerne
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Zurich
- Things to do in Piedmont & Liguria
- Things to do in Swiss Alps
- Basilica of Sant'Ambrogio (Basilica di Sant'Ambrogio)
- Sforza Castle (Castello Sforzesco)
- Bramante Sacristy (Sacrestia del Bramante)
- San Sepolcro Church (Chiesa di San Sepolcro)
- Codex Atlanticus
- Ambrosiana Museum and Library (Veneranda Biblioteca Ambrosiana)
- Leonardo’s Vineyard (Vigna di Leonardo)
- Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie (Chiesa di Santa Maria delle Grazie)
- Da Vinci's Last Supper (Il Cenacolo)
- Leonardo da Vinci National Museum of Science and Technology
- Piazza Mercanti
- Church of Santa Maria at San Satiro (Chiesa di Santa Maria presso San Satiro)
- La Triennale Museum (La Triennale di Milano)
- Columns of San Lorenzo (Colonne di San Lorenzo)
- La Scala Opera House (Teatro alla Scala)
- Skip the Line for the Last Supper
- All Milan Skip the Line Tours
- Shopping in Milan
- Milan in 3 Days
- Lake Day Trips from Milan
- Romantic Things To Do in Milan
- Venice Day Trips from Milan
- Top Nightlife Experiences in Milan
- Milan Neighborhood Guide
- Top Parks and Gardens in Milan
- Swiss Alps Tours from Milan
- Milan for Art Lovers