Mt. Vesuvius (Monte Vesuvio)
Mt. Vesuvius is easily seen from below, but a trip to the volcano itself provides the best understanding of the area and its impact on the region’s history. A hike up the mountain begins in Mount Vesuvius National Park, which has nine nature trails and allows for summit access. The crater’s lunar landscape is otherworldly, and the views are tough to beat. Many visitors combine a visit to the area with a stop in the scenic seaside town of Sorrento.
Recent reviews from experiences in Naples
Things to Know Before You Go
Mt. Vesuvius is ideal for both outdoor lovers and history buffs.
Hiking is best suited for clear days when you can enjoy the views.
If you plan to hike, wear comfortable walking shoes. The paths are often dusty and rocky, so closed-toe shoes are best.
You can walk to the edge of the crater only with a certified guide.
How to Get There
Mount Vesuvius National Park is easily accessible from Naples via the Circumvesuviana train. The nearest stop is Ercolano, and from there the Busvia del Vesuvio takes you up the mountain. There’s also a local bus that runs from Pompeii. Alternatively, you can book a private or guided tour, which provides transportation, crater access, and insight into the history and details of ancient life in the area.
When to Get There
Though Mt. Vesuvius is visitable open year-round, the best time to go is in the off-season, October to April. Crowds and temperatures both rise during summer. Spring and early fall provide the best times to avoid the area’s potential fog.
The Eruption That Changed History
It’s impossible to understand the impact that Mt. Vesuvius had on Italy—and the world—without a visit to the nearby archaeological sites of Pompeii and Herculaneum. Though many people tragically died in the volcanic eruption, their homes and ways of life remain largely intact in one of the world’s best-preserved ancient sites.
- Things to do in Pompeii
- Things to do in Sorrento
- Things to do in Positano
- Things to do in Capri
- Things to do in Amalfi
- Things to do in Salerno
- Things to do in Rome
- Things to do in Matera
- Things to do in Palermo
- Things to do in Taormina
- Things to do in Split
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in Amalfi Coast
- Things to do in Lazio
- Things to do in Puglia
- Naples Piazza del Mercato
- Bay of Naples (Golfo di Napoli)
- Pio Monte della Misericordia
- Centro Storico
- Naples Cathedral (Duomo di San Gennaro)
- Via San Gregorio Armeno (Christmas Alley)
- Naples Cruise Port (Terminal Crociere di Napoli)
- Basilica di San Lorenzo Maggiore
- Naples Underground (Napoli Sotterranea)
- Castel Nuovo (Maschio Angioino)
- Basilica of San Domenico Maggiore (Basilica di San Domenico Maggiore)
- Church and Monastery of Santa Chiara (Chiesa e Monastero di Santa Chiara)
- Sansevero Chapel (Museo Cappella Sansevero)
- Saint Lucia Neighborhood (Quartiere Santa Lucia)
- Naples Historic Center (Napoli Centro Storico)
- Naples and Pizza
- Pompeii Tours from Naples
- Amalfi Coast from Naples
- Nightlife in Naples
- Caravaggio Art in Naples
- Top Day Trips from Naples
- Ways to Beat the Crowds in Naples
- How to Spend a Rainy Day in Naples
- Where to Find the Best Views in Naples
- Art Lover's Guide to Naples
- Sightseeing on a Budget in Naples
- Must-See Museums in Naples