The district encompasses a large area, roughly from Place de l’Opera in the 9th arrondissement to Porte St Denis in the 10th district, and has a wealth of shopping and entertainment opportunities ranging from high-brow and designer to mass-market and wholesale. Peruse the finery at legendary stores Galeries Lafayette and Au Printemps. Take in an opera at the National Theater of the Opera Comique, a blockbuster at Grand Rex, or cabaret at Folies Bergère. See the astonishingly realistic wax figures at Musée Grévin, or catch French comedian Olivier Giraudan’s popular comedy show at Théâtre des Nouveautés.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Grand Boulevards is an ideal spot for architecture buffs, shoppers, and night owls.
- Check out all eight so-called “grand” boulevards:xa0Madeleine, Capucines, Italiens, Montmartre, Poissonnière, Bonne Nouvelle, St-Denis, and St-Martin.
- Relax in the English-style Parc Monceau, which features a large pond, a collection of odd architectural features (a Dutch windmill, a Chinese fortress, and an Egyptian pyramid), and statues of famous French cultural figures.
How to Get There
The Grand Boulevards district is serviced by several Metro stations including Grands Boulevards, Opéra, Strasbourg Saint-Denis, Bourse, and Chaussée d’Antin via lines 3, 4, 7, 8, 9, 12, and 14.
When to Get There
There is something for everyone at any hour in Grands Boulevards. Shoppers appear in droves during the daytime, and at night, the neighborhood gets a second wind, with bars starting to fill and lines starting to form outside nightclubs.
Glass Passageways and Arcades
While you’re exploring the neighborhood, look for the glass-covered passageways and arcades created around the turn of the 19th century to keep the upper crust denizens dry as they shopped. An architectural style unique to Paris, and especially to Grands Boulevards, each pedestrian passageway has its own character, whether it be a particular ethnic focus, wholesale goods, or designer clothing. Many have tea rooms, cafés, and restaurants.
- Things to do in Île-de-France
- Things to do in Marne-la-Vallée
- Things to do in Blois
- Things to do in Deauville City
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Dijon
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Horley
- Things to do in Nantes
- Things to do in London
- Things to do in Normandy
- Things to do in Nord-Pas de Calais