Visit La Madeleine as part of a Paris sightseeing tour that also stops at highlights like the Eiffel Tower and Arc de Triomphe; many of these itineraries include a Seine River cruise or jaunt to Versailles. Paris by night tours are a great way to admire the temple-like church dramatically lit after sunset, or independent travelers can take in La Madeleine at their own pace with a hop-on-hop-off bus tour and audio guide.
Things to know before you go
- This spectacular 19th-century neoclassical church is a must for architecture enthusiasts, though photographers will want to capture the view from the southside staircase down Rue Royale to Place de la Concorde.
- Classical music concerts are often held free of charge at La Madeleine; check the website for dates.
- It’s a good idea to wear clothing that covers shoulders and knees to enter Paris’ churches.
- There is dedicated access for wheelchair users via an elevator on Boulevard Malesherbes.
How to get there
La Madeleine is located on Place de la Madeleine in Paris. Parking is scarce in the immediate vicinity. Metro lines 8,12, and 14 stop at the Madeleine station located next to the church. Or join a hop-on-hop-off bus tour or sightseeing tour on foot or by coach.
When to get there
The church is open daily, but the most remarkable feature is the external architecture which can be taken in at any time of day or night. To climb the southside staircase to admire the view, you must visit during opening hours as there is a protective gate around the entire site that is locked after hours. When evening concerts are held, opening hours may be extended later into the evening.
Shopping in Place de la Madeleine
The square outside La Madeleine is a popular shopping destination in Paris, known for its chic boutiques and some of the city’s top gourmet shops and restaurants. Luxury food shops Fauchon and Hediard have outposts here, as does the Maille mustard producer, Caviar Kaspia, and the Maison de Truffe truffle emporium.
- Things to do in Île-de-France
- Things to do in Marne-la-Vallée
- Things to do in Blois
- Things to do in Deauville City
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Dijon
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Horley
- Things to do in Nantes
- Things to do in London
- Things to do in Normandy
- Things to do in Nord-Pas de Calais