Museum of Jewish Art and History (Musée d’Art et d’Histoire du Judaïsme)
Highlights of the museum’s collection include a Torah ark from the Italian Renaissance, a Dutch Torah scroll from the 1600s, a German menorah crafted from gold and silver, documents from the Dreyfus Scandal, and an exhibit dedicated to detailing what life was like for Jewish residents of Paris in 1939. Admission to the museum is included in many of the city's attraction and museum passes, and is an important stop in tours of the Marais District, which has a large Jewish Community.
Things to know before you go
- The Museum of Jewish Art and History is a must-visit for anyone interested in Jewish art and culture in France.
- Free audio guides are available in five languages, including English.
- Be prepared for strict security searches at the entrance of the museum; traveling light saves you time.
- The museum features a ramp and an elevator for wheelchair users and guests with strollers. Loaner wheelchairs are also available.
How to get there
The museum is located in the heart of the Marais District, right on rue du Temple, in the 3rd Arrondissement of Paris and a short walk from the Pompidou Centre. The nearest metro stations are at Rambuteau (line 11) or Hôtel de Ville (lines 1 and 11).
When to get there
Like many Paris museums, the Museum of Jewish Art and History is open every day of the week except for Monday, with late hours on Wednesdays. The ticket office closes 45 minutes before the museum closes. This museum is open on public holidays, except for New Year's Day. There's also a media library open in the afternoon from Tuesday through Friday.
Hotel de Saint-Aignan
The museum is housed within the Hotel de Saint-Aignan, a magnificent mansion built between 1644 and 1650 for the Count of Avaux. The building, considered one of the most beautiful private mansions in Paris, served as a government building and commercial space before it was purchased by the city of Paris in 1963.
- Things to do in Île-de-France
- Things to do in Marne-la-Vallée
- Things to do in Blois
- Things to do in Deauville City
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Dijon
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Horley
- Things to do in Nantes
- Things to do in London
- Things to do in Normandy
- Things to do in Nord-Pas de Calais
- Le Marais
- Picasso Museum (Musée National Picasso Paris)
- Carnavalet Museum (Musée Carnavalet)
- Mémorial de la Shoah (Shoah Memorial)
- Marché des Enfants Rouges
- Centre Pompidou
- 3rd Arrondissement
- Hotel de Ville
- Place des Vosges
- 4th Arrondissement
- Museum of Magic (Musée de la Magie)
- Maison de Victor Hugo
- Ile Saint-Louis
- Musée des Arts et Métiers