The Phoenix Zoo ranks as one of the city’s top family attractions, as well as one of the best zoological parks in the country. The zoo offers a variety of tour options, from eco-shuttle tours of the entire zoo to "backstage" tours that offer closer glimpses into different animal habitats.
Recent reviews from experiences in Phoenix
Things to know before you go
- The Phoenix Zoo is a must-visit for families and animal lovers.
- Don’t forget to bring sunglasses, sunscreen, a hat, and plenty of water.
- Pack a swimsuit for kids who might want to cool off at Yakulla Caverns or Leapin’ Lagoon (open March to October).
- The zoo is both wheelchair accessible and sensory inclusive.
How to get there
The entrance to the Phoenix Zoo is located on Galvin Parkway in the heart of Papago Park. The easiest way to get there is by car, but you can also ride the light rail to Washington/Priest station and connect to bus 1.
When to get there
The zoo is open daily throughout the year, with shorter hours in the summer months (June to August) to account for the heat. The best time to visit for both good weather and sparser crowds is on a weekday between September and October or January and May.
The Endangered Species Carousel
Unique to the Phoenix Zoo is the Endangered Species Carousel. This ride might look like a classic carousel, but upon closer inspection, you’ll notice that each animal is different. Instead of the usual horses, you’ll find a lion, elephant, rhino, zebra, and sea dragon, each handcrafted to look like its animal inspiration.
- Things to do in Arizona
- Things to do in Scottsdale
- Things to do in Sedona
- Things to do in Flagstaff
- Things to do in Las Vegas
- Things to do in Palm Springs
- Things to do in Monument Valley
- Things to do in San Diego
- Things to do in La Jolla
- Things to do in Albuquerque
- Things to do in Anaheim & Buena Park
- Things to do in Long Beach
- Things to do in Santa Monica
- Things to do in New Mexico
- Things to do in Utah
- Desert Botanical Gardens
- Pueblo Grande Museum
- Mill Avenue
- Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art (SMoCA)
- Old Town Scottsdale
- Scottsdale Fashion Square
- LEGOLAND® Discovery Center Arizona
- Camelback Mountain
- SEA LIFE® Aquarium Arizona
- Wrigley Mansion
- Heritage Square
- Arizona Science Center
- Chase Field
- Phoenix Art Museum
- National Comedy Theatre (NCT)