Window Cave (Cueva Ventana)
The cave is privately administered to protect against damage and decay, and therefore entry is ticketed. Admission includes a 1.5-hour guided tour of the cave, during which you’ll discover the history of the native Taino people. Flashlights and helmets are also included. Day trips from San Juan tend to combine a visit to the cave with a stop at the nearby Cueva del Indio, Arecibo Observatory, or the Gozalandia Waterfalls, and save you the hassle of car hire and navigation.
Things to know before you go
- Bring your camera for the Instagram-worthy photo op at the cave’s rock window.
- Visiting the cave involves scrambling across some rocks and tree roots; the path can often be muddy and is therefore difficult to access for travelers with limited mobility.
- Parts of the cave can feel quite dark and closed in, so if you suffer from claustrophobia then consider skipping it.
- Children under the age of five are not permitted inside the cave.
How to get there
The trail to the cave begins behind a gas station on PR-10 near kilometer 75. The drive takes about 1.5 hours from San Juan along PR-22. There’s no public transport to the site, so tours with included round-trip transfers are the most convenient option.
When to get there
The cave is open daily throughout the year. Early mornings are the best time to visit, while weekends see the highest concentration of crowds. Evening tours are available on Wednesdays and Thursdays.
Puerto Rico for Adventure Travelers
Puerto Rico offers an outdoor playground for adventure enthusiasts. After you’ve crossed spelunking off your to-do list, go hiking through El Yunque National Forest, the only tropical rainforest in the US forest system; kayak through a bioluminescent bay at night; go horseback riding on a beach; rappel down a waterfall in Carite State Forest; or drive an ATV through the countryside.
- Things to do in Fajardo
- Things to do in Arecibo
- Things to do in Luquillo
- Things to do in Vieques
- Things to do in Rincón
- Things to do in Dominican Republic
- Things to do in Antigua and Barbuda
- Things to do in Punta Cana
- Things to do in La Romana
- Things to do in Samaná
- Things to do in Santo Domingo
- Things to do in Antigua
- Things to do in Caribbean Coast
- Things to do in New Providence Island
- Things to do in Grand Bahama Island
- Arecibo Observatory
- Cueva del Indio
- Rio Camuy Cave Park (Parque Nacional de las Cavernas del Río Camuy)
- Gozalandia Falls
- Cuevas Arenales Caves
- Crashboat Beach
- Bacardi Rum Factory (Casa Bacardi)
- Goat Island (Isla de Cabras)
- Castillo San Felipe del Morro
- Caparra Ruins
- San Juan National Historic Site (Sitio Histórico Nacional de San Juan)
- Museum of the Americas (Museo de las Américas)
- Old San Juan
- San Juan Cathedral (Catedral de San Juan Bautista)