Culebra Island ranks among the most popular day trip destinations from mainland Puerto Rico. Tours typically transport you by high-speed catamaran from Fajardo, and tend to include snorkel stops, a buffet lunch, and time to relax on the beach and swim. From Culebra, you can access smaller island destinations such as Culebrita and Cayo Luis Pena—for which a permit is required—by taking a public water taxi from the main town.
Recent reviews from experiences in Puerto Rico
Things to know before you go
- Don’t forget to pack a bathing suit, beach towel, and reef-safe sunscreen.
- The island is home to a few restaurants and small hotels for those who’d like to stay overnight.
- Flamenco Beach has lifeguards, making it the best choice for families visiting with younger kids.
How to get there
Culebra is 20 miles (32 kilometers) off the coast of Fajardo on the eastern side of Puerto Rico. The only way to get there is by boat or small plane. Boats typically depart from Puerto Del Rey Marina in Fajardo.
When to get there
The best weather for soaking up the sun occurs between mid-April and June, which also happens to be the best time to spot sea turtles on the island’s beaches. Weather is often better during the winter months of December and January, but expect Flamenco Beach to be crowded during this time.
This small, uninhabited island just off the coast of Culebra sits within a national wildlife refuge. Accessible via a short boat ride, the island features six small beaches and an old lighthouse—one of the oldest lighthouses in the Caribbean. Wild sea turtles frequent the area; you can often see them nesting in the sand or swimming offshore.
- Things to do in Fajardo
- Things to do in Arecibo
- Things to do in Luquillo
- Things to do in Vieques
- Things to do in Rincón
- Things to do in Dominican Republic
- Things to do in Antigua and Barbuda
- Things to do in Punta Cana
- Things to do in La Romana
- Things to do in Samaná
- Things to do in Santo Domingo
- Things to do in Antigua
- Things to do in Caribbean Coast
- Things to do in New Providence Island
- Things to do in Grand Bahama Island
- Flamenco Beach (Playa Flamenco)
- Vieques Island (Isla de Vieques)
- Bioluminescent Bay (Mosquito Bay)
- Palomino Island
- Sun Bay Beach
- Icacos Island (Cayo Icacos)
- Laguna Grande
- Las Cabezas de San Juan Nature Reserve
- El Yunque National Park
- Luquillo Beach
- Hacienda Campo Rico
- Pine Grove Beach
- Mercado de Río Piedras