Cueva del Indio
Visitors to this popular natural wonder must navigate rocky ledges, treacherous cliffs, and wooden ladders to access some of the region’s most impressive views.
Guided tours to the caves often include a stop at the impressive Cueva Ventana (Window Cave) as well. Some itineraries also visit the Arecibo Observatory, while still others focus more on Taino culture, with a trip to the Caguana Indigenous Ceremonial Park. Day trips from San Juan typically last upwards of eight hours, so be prepared to get an early start.
Things to know before you go
- There is no admission cost to view the cave.
- Wear sturdy shoes suitable for walking over uneven rocky surfaces, as well as long pants to protect your legs.
- Consider visiting with a guide who can highlight the history of the caves and point out the best spots for photos.
How to get there
The cave is located along Road 681 in Arecibo, near kilometer 7.8. A sign across the road marks the caves, and there’s a small dirt driveway where a few cars can park. The trip takes about 90 minutes from San Juan. Since public transportation isn’t very reliable, the best way to get to the cave is by car or guided tour.
When to get there
While there are no set hours when the cave is open, plan to arrive early in the day to avoid crowds. Come on a day with little or no rain forecast so you can make the most of the nearby beaches as well.
Attractions in Arecibo
The Arecibo region has an incredible diversity of things to see and do, from the world’s largest radio telescope to Puerto Rico’s most important rivers. If you’re in the area visiting the caves, consider making a stop at some of the other worthy attractions. Spend some time soaking up the sun on Hallows or La Poza del Obispo Beach, do some bird watching in Cambalache Forest Park, learn about local heritage at the Cultural Center of Arecibo, or pay a visit to the lovely Punta Los Morrillos Lighthouse.
- Things to do in Fajardo
- Things to do in Arecibo
- Things to do in Luquillo
- Things to do in Vieques
- Things to do in Rincón
- Things to do in Dominican Republic
- Things to do in Antigua and Barbuda
- Things to do in Punta Cana
- Things to do in La Romana
- Things to do in Samaná
- Things to do in Santo Domingo
- Things to do in Antigua
- Things to do in Caribbean Coast
- Things to do in New Providence Island
- Things to do in Grand Bahama Island
- Window Cave (Cueva Ventana)
- Arecibo Observatory
- Rio Camuy Cave Park (Parque Nacional de las Cavernas del Río Camuy)
- Cuevas Arenales Caves
- Gozalandia Falls
- Bacardi Rum Factory (Casa Bacardi)
- Goat Island (Isla de Cabras)
- Castillo San Felipe del Morro
- San Juan National Historic Site (Sitio Histórico Nacional de San Juan)
- Museum of the Americas (Museo de las Américas)
- Old San Juan
- San Juan Cathedral (Catedral de San Juan Bautista)
- Crashboat Beach
- Chapel of Christ (Capilla del Cristo)