Appian Way and Aurelian Walls (Via Appia Antica e Mure Aureliane)
Named for architect Appius Claudius Caecus, the Appian Way was one of Rome’s main highways for centuries. As the empire began its decline in the third century and Rome experienced barbarian attacks, the Aurelian Walls (Mure Aureliane) were erected around the city’s seven hills for protection. These defensive walls had a number of gates, including Porta Appia (or Porta San Sebastiano), which today contains a museum about the Aurelian Walls.
A guided walking or bike tour down the Appian Way from the Aurelian Walls through the Ancient Appian Way Regional Park and Caffarella Park is the perfect way to explore this historic road and the ancient sites along its route through the Roman countryside. Appian Way tours include stops at sites like the thermal baths of Caracalla, the early Christian San Callisto Catacombs, the Circus of Maxentius, the tomb of Caecilia Metella, and the ancient Roman aqueducts. You can also join a guided small-group bus tour to explore the ancient road from central Rome.
Things to Know Before You Go
If you are joining a hiking or cycling tour, be sure to wear comfortable clothing and shoes.
The Appian Way and sites along its route are all open-air, so bring a hat, sunscreen, and plenty of water.
Some of the archaeological sites along the route require an entrance fee.
How to Get There
Metro line A has a stop at Parco Appia Antica, close to the entrance for Via Appia Park.
When to Get There
The Appian Way and its sights are almost entirely outside, so it’s best to visit in the spring and fall when the weather is mild. It takes anywhere from a few hours to an entire day to explore the route on foot or bike, so plan on setting off in the morning.
Parco Regionale della Via Appia Antica
The initial stretch of the Appian Way, just outside Rome’s city center, is part of a regional park, and many of the archaeological sites along the route are located within the park’s confines.
- Things to do in Lake Bracciano
- Things to do in Lake Bolsena
- Things to do in Assisi
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Capri
- Things to do in Pompeii
- Things to do in San Gimignano
- Things to do in Sorrento
- Things to do in Florence
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Lazio
- Things to do in Umbria
- Things to do in Tuscany
- Villa of the Quintilii (Villa dei Quintili)
- Ciampino International Airport (CIA)
- Aqueduct Park (Parco degli Acquedotti)
- Circus of Maxentius (Circo di Massenzio)
- Garbatella District (Quartiere Garbatella)
- Basilica of Saint Paul Outside the Walls (Basilica di San Paolo Fuori le Mura)
- Basilica of the Holy Cross in Jerusalem (Basilica di Santa Croce in Gerusalemme)
- Piazzale Giuseppe Garibaldi
- Basilica of St. John Lateran (Basilica di San Giovanni in Laterano)
- Baths of Caracalla (Terme di Caracalla)
- Holy Stairs (Scala Sancta) and Chapel of San Lorenzo
- Porta Maggiore
- Villa Celimontana
- Basilica of St. Stephen in the Round (Basilica di Santo Stefano Rotondo)