Basilica di Santa Prassede
Ways to visit Basilica di Santa Prassede
Though it’s not the most well-known of Rome’s many churches, the Basilica di Santa Prassede is an essential stop for early Christian history enthusiasts and art buffs. Some church tours of Rome combine a guided visit here with stops at the larger nearby Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore (Basilica Papale di Santa Maria Maggiore), which contains another holy relic: a piece said to have been part of baby Jesus’ crib. Tours focusing on the role of women in early Christian Rome also stop at the Basilica di Santa Prassede, as do walking tours of the Monti neighborhood in which the church is situated.
Things to know before you go to Basilica di Santa Prassede
- Basilica di Santa Prassede is a must for history buffs and art lovers.
- Bring a few coins to turn on the lights in the church; that way, you can properly admire the glimmering mosaics.
- Look up—some of the church’s most magnificent mosaics are found above the altar and on the ceiling of the Chapel of Saint Zeno (Cappella di San Zenone).
How to get to Basilica di Santa Prassede
Basilica di Santa Prassede is in the Monti neighborhood of central Rome. The nearest metro stations are Cavour, Vittorio Emanuele, and Termini, all of which are a 5–10 minutes’ walk away. The church entrance is on Via di Santa Prassede.
When to visit Basilica di Santa Prassede
Basilica di Santa Prassede closes for several hours every day during lunchtime, so avoid middle-of-the-day visits. Despite its setting in a busy part of town, the basilica is often relatively quiet and crowd-free.
The Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore
Just a few steps away from this modest-sized minor basilica sits one of Rome’s four major basilicas: the Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore. Dedicated to the Virgin Mary, the landmark dates back as far as the 5th century, though it has been added to and expanded many times since then. The basilica is known for its well-preserved Byzantine interiors, including mosaics depicting biblical scenes.
- Things to do in Lake Bracciano
- Things to do in Lake Bolsena
- Things to do in Assisi
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Capri
- Things to do in Pompeii
- Things to do in San Gimignano
- Things to do in Sorrento
- Things to do in Florence
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Lazio
- Things to do in Umbria
- Things to do in Tuscany
- Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore (Basilica Papale di Santa Maria Maggiore)
- Seven Hills of Rome (Sette Colli di Roma)
- Oppian Hill Park (Parco del Colle Oppio)
- Rome Opera House (Teatro dell'Opera di Roma)
- Church of St. Peter in Chains (San Pietro in Vincoli)
- National Roman Museum (Museo Nazionale Romano)–Palazzo Massimo alle Terme
- Golden House of Nero (Domus Aurea)
- Piazza della Repubblica
- Basilica of San Clemente al Laterano (Basilica di San Clemente al Laterano)
- Silvano Toti Globe Theatre
- St. Paul's Within the Walls Church (Chiesa di San Paolo Entro le Mura)
- Barberini Palace (Palazzo Barberini)
- Basilica of Santi Quattro Coronati (Basilica dei Santi Quattro Coronati)
- Baths of Diocletian (Terme di Diocleziano)