Oppian Hill Park (Parco del Colle Oppio)
Rome is a city famously built around seven hills—and on one of those, you’ll find Parco del Colle Oppio (the name means Oppian Hill Park in English). Nero chose this site to build part of his huge palace with landscaped gardens, Domus Aurea, and visitors can still tour the ruins of the palace nearby. The baths of Trajan were also located here. When the park was developed in the 1920s it was lined with statues and boasted a rose garden. Nowadays there’s not as much to see or do here.
Things to know before you go
- If you’re thinking of visiting the nearby Colosseum or the Forum, consider joining a private tour to skip the lines, which can be very long during the summer months.
- The park offers sweeping views over the Colosseum and Palatine hills.
- The park is wheelchair accessible.
- In July and August, the All’Ombra del Colosseo festival is held in the park with musical performances.
How to get there
Parco del Colle Oppio is located in the center of Rome, just behind the Colosseum. It’s within walking distance to both the Colosseum and the Roman Forum. Hop-on hop-off tour buses stop nearby, and the closest metro station is Colosseo, on Line B.
When to get there
A public place, Parco del Colle Oppio is open all year round. It is best enjoyed in the daytime—the area can be less safe for visitors after dark.
Visit Saint Frances Church
Just next to the Roman Forum, and a short walk from Parco del Colle Oppio, is the church of Santa Francesca Romana. With grand marble interiors and decorated ceilings, the church has plenty to enjoy, but the real highlight is the 6th-century painting Vergine col Bambino (virgin with child), one of the oldest Christian artworks in existence anywhere in the world.
- Things to do in Lake Bracciano
- Things to do in Lake Bolsena
- Things to do in Assisi
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Capri
- Things to do in Pompeii
- Things to do in San Gimignano
- Things to do in Sorrento
- Things to do in Florence
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Lazio
- Things to do in Umbria
- Things to do in Tuscany
- Basilica of San Clemente al Laterano (Basilica di San Clemente al Laterano)
- Golden House of Nero (Domus Aurea)
- Basilica of Santi Quattro Coronati (Basilica dei Santi Quattro Coronati)
- Basilica di Santa Prassede
- Church of St. Peter in Chains (San Pietro in Vincoli)
- Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore (Basilica Papale di Santa Maria Maggiore)
- Caelian Hill (Celio)
- Seven Hills of Rome (Sette Colli di Roma)
- Basilica di Santa Francesca Romana
- Roman Forum (Foro Romano)
- Arch of Titus (Arco di Tito)
- Rome Basilica di Santi Giovanni e Paolo
- Case Romane del Celio
- Palatine Hill (Palatino)