Villa of the Quintilii (Villa dei Quintili)
The ancient ruins of the Villa of the Quintilii (Villa dei Quintili) are so massive that for centuries the site was known as “Old Rome”, as locals assumed it was the remains of an entire city. Tour the archaeological site and museum on a guided bike, e-bike, or golf cart tour of the Appian Way that includes stops at the villa along with other ancient sites like the aqueducts, Baths of Caracalla, San Callisto Catacombs, Circus of Maxentius, and Mausoleum of Caecilia Metella. Most tours trace the Roman road’s route through the Ancient Appian Way Regional Park and Caffarella Park, surrounded by the beautiful countryside of Lazio.
Things to know before you go
- If you are joining an Appian Way walking or cycling tour, be sure to wear comfortable clothing and shoes.
- The villa and other Roman remains along the Via Appia Antica are outdoors, so bring a hat, sunscreen, and plenty of water.
- The ruins of the villa are not accessible to wheelchair users.
- Roman history buffs will especially enjoy visiting the villa ruins, though a walk or bike along the Appian Way is a fun break for kids.
How to get there
The Villa of the Quintilii is located along the Appian Way, around six miles (10 km) south of central Rome. Metro line A has a stop at Parco Appia Antica, close to the entrance for Via Appia Park. The best way to visit is as part of an Appian Way tour that includes bikes or other transportation to avoid tricky public transportation.
When to get there
The ruins of the Villa of the Quintilii are mostly outside, so visit in the spring and fall when the weather is mild. It takes anywhere from a few hours to an entire day to explore the Appian Way on foot or bike, so set off in the morning.
The Parco Regionale della Via Appia Antica
The stretch of the Appian Way just outside the city of Rome is part of a regional park, and many of the Roman ruins along the route are located within the park’s confines.
- Things to do in Lake Bracciano
- Things to do in Lake Bolsena
- Things to do in Assisi
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Capri
- Things to do in Pompeii
- Things to do in San Gimignano
- Things to do in Sorrento
- Things to do in Florence
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Lazio
- Things to do in Umbria
- Things to do in Tuscany
- Appian Way and Aurelian Walls (Via Appia Antica e Mure Aureliane)
- Aqueduct Park (Parco degli Acquedotti)
- Circus of Maxentius (Circo di Massenzio)
- Ciampino International Airport (CIA)
- Garbatella District (Quartiere Garbatella)
- Basilica of the Holy Cross in Jerusalem (Basilica di Santa Croce in Gerusalemme)
- Basilica of Saint Paul Outside the Walls (Basilica di San Paolo Fuori le Mura)
- Basilica of St. John Lateran (Basilica di San Giovanni in Laterano)
- Holy Stairs (Scala Sancta) and Chapel of San Lorenzo
- Baths of Caracalla (Terme di Caracalla)
- Porta Maggiore
- Villa Celimontana
- Basilica of St. Stephen in the Round (Basilica di Santo Stefano Rotondo)
- Caelian Hill (Celio)