In a city known for its Victorian architecture, the Haas-Lilienthal House is one of San Francisco’s crown jewels. The only intact private Victorian house open to visitors as a museum, the Queen Anne–style home was built in 1886 and features the period furniture and artifacts of an upper-middle-class Victorian-era life. It is listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.
Located in the Pacific Heights neighborhood, the Haas-Lilienthal House is not usually part of city sightseeing tours, so you’ll most likely make a special trip to visit. The 3-story house is characterized by its circular tower and wooden gables, with an interior of 11,500 square feet. Docents lead one-hour tours through the parlor, ballroom, dining room, and more, telling visitors about the history of the building and the family who once inhabited it.
Things to know before you go
- The Haas-Lilienthal House is ideal for architecture buffs and lovers of period movies.
- The house is wheelchair accessible through the visitor entrance.
- Purchase tickets on-site; all visits are made with a docent.
How to get there
The Hass-Lilienthal House can be found on Franklin Street between Jackson and Washington streets, one block west of Van Ness Avenue, one of San Francisco’s main thoroughfares. Get there on MUNI bus lines 1 or 10, or take the California Street cable car line to its end at Van Ness Avenue and walk four blocks to the house.
When to get there
The house is open in the afternoon just three days a week: Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday. Tours leave every 20 to 30 minutes. A few seasonal events such as a Valentine’s Day ball and a holiday tea take place during the year.
One block from the Hass-Lilienthal House at Washington and Octavia streets, Lafayette Park is a great place to take a break on a walk through Pacific Heights. From this hilltop greenspace, you can admire many of the neighborhood’s elegant homes, including Spreckels Mansion, owned by Danielle Steel.
- Things to do in California
- Things to do in Sausalito
- Things to do in Napa & Sonoma
- Things to do in Yosemite National Park
- Things to do in Paso Robles
- Things to do in San Luis Obispo
- Things to do in Pismo Beach
- Things to do in Santa Barbara
- Things to do in Santa Monica
- Things to do in Los Angeles
- Things to do in Long Beach
- Things to do in Anaheim & Buena Park
- Things to do in La Jolla
- Things to do in Nevada
- Things to do in Oregon