Marine Mammal Center
The Marine Mammal Center has been leading the charge in the field of ocean conservation, through its marine mammal rescue, veterinary science, and education programs, for decades. Located just north of San Francisco’s Golden Gate Bridge in the Marin Headlands, the interactive center was the first hospital built in the US dedicated to the treatment and rehabilitation of marine mammals.
Since its opening, the Marine Mammal Center has treated thousands of animals with the ultimate goal of releasing them back into the wild. Typically, you can view some of the animals being housed at the center and tour its rehab and research facilities.
Things to know before you go
- Reservations are required for groups of 10 or more people.
- The Marine Mammal Center is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.
- Through the Marine Mammal Center Adopt-a-Seal® program you can provide the necessary food and medicine to animal patients with a tax-deductible gift.
- No dogs are allowed.
How to get there
Reach the Marine Mammal Center by car from US-101, taking the Sausalito exit. Follow signs for the Marin Headlands until you reach Bunker Road. From there, stay on Bunker Road, with Rodeo Lagoon on your left, until you see signage for the Marine Mammal Center. You can also take the Muni 76X Marin Headlands Express to Rodeo Beach on weekends before a short walk to the center.
When to get there
The Marine Mammal Center is open daily from 10am to 4 pm, excluding most national holidays.
Seal Season at The Marine Mammal Center
February through May is pupping season for northern elephant seals, California sea lions, and harbor seals. Sea lions, elephant, and harbor seal pups are strong enough to brave the ocean June through October. November through January is a bit quieter, but the weather is mild.
- Things to do in California
- Things to do in Sausalito
- Things to do in Napa & Sonoma
- Things to do in Yosemite National Park
- Things to do in Paso Robles
- Things to do in San Luis Obispo
- Things to do in Pismo Beach
- Things to do in Santa Barbara
- Things to do in Santa Monica
- Things to do in Los Angeles
- Things to do in Long Beach
- Things to do in Anaheim & Buena Park
- Things to do in La Jolla
- Things to do in Nevada
- Things to do in Oregon