Begin your exploration of Bell Rock on the Bell Rock Pathway. This wide, well-kept trail offers views of Bell Rock and the nearby Courthouse Butte as it traverses along the base of the bell formation. From there, you can connect to a more strenuous trail that ascends the north face of Bell Rock and offers treasured views of the surrounding landscape. The hike increases in difficulty as you ascend, but rewarding vistas along the way make it easy to turn around at any point.xa0
Tours of the Bell Rock area focus on different aspects of the site. You can join a hiking tour and learn about the surrounding geology and culture or join a spirituality focused excursion that takes time for meditation and discussing the area’s vortex.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Bell Rock has hiking trail options to suit everyone from wheelchair users to those looking for strenuous climbs.
- The small parking area has picnic tables, accessible vault toilets, and a hiking map.
- A Red Rock Pass (or National Parks Pass) must be displayed on your windshield while parking in the Bell Rock area.
- The trails have little shade so bring sun protection and plenty of drinking water.
How to Get There
Bell Rock is located outside of the Village of Oak Creek on Highway 179 North. Turn right onto Bell Rock Boulevard to access the trailhead. From Sedona, head south on Highway 179—it’s about a 15-minute drive to Bell Rock.
When to Get There
The site is open all year round, but for cool temperatures better for hiking, visit between fall and spring. The small parking lot fills up fast so arrive early in the morning, especially if you are driving an RV.
Hiking at Courthouse Butte
While you’re in the area, don’t miss the chance to explore the neighboring rock formation known as Courthouse Butte. You can connect to the Courthouse Butte Loop Trail from the Bell Rock Pathway and enjoy a lesser-traveled path that takes you around the base of Courthouse Butte and offers views of Bell Rock. The roughly 4-mile (6-kilometer) loop is longer and less crowded than the trails on Bell Rock.
- Things to do in Arizona
- Things to do in Flagstaff
- Things to do in Scottsdale
- Things to do in Phoenix
- Things to do in Monument Valley
- Things to do in Las Vegas
- Things to do in Palm Springs
- Things to do in Albuquerque
- Things to do in San Diego
- Things to do in La Jolla
- Things to do in Anaheim & Buena Park
- Things to do in Long Beach
- Things to do in Santa Monica
- Things to do in Utah
- Things to do in New Mexico