The Tasso Theater is the performance venue for the Sorrento Amarcord show, which focuses on the traditional folk music, dance, and tales of the Neapolitan region. Book tickets in advance to secure a seat. Local songs and traditional dances, such as the tarantella, are performed by actors and dancers in colorful costumes, with some parts of the performance inviting audience participation.
Things to know before you go
- Tasso Theater is a must for visitors who want to gain a deeper understanding of local culture.
- The Sorrento Amarcord show is performed in Italian but the visual nature of the performance makes it relatively easy for audience members to follow the story.
- Shuttle services can be arranged with the venue for a fee.
How to get there
Tasso Theater is situated in the historic center of Sorrento on Piazza Sant’Antonino. From Naples, follow the A3 motorway toward Salerno, taking the Castellammare di Stabia exit. From Sorrento port, ride the Cooperative Tasso bus to Piazza Sant’Antonino. From Sorrento train station, make the 5-minute walk via Corso Italia.
When to get there
The Sorrento Amarcord shows take place every Wednesday and Saturday night between May and October. Other events, such as jazz performances, take place at the theater as part of the M’illumino D’inverno winter festival.
Native to southern Italy, the tarantella is a frantic folk dance known for its racing tempo, with the beat often speeding up as the song goes on. A courtship dance, the tarantella is typically performed by a couple and features accompanying music by instruments such as mandolin, guitar, or accordion.
- Things to do in Amalfi Coast
- Things to do in Positano
- Things to do in Capri
- Things to do in Pompeii
- Things to do in Amalfi
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Salerno
- Things to do in Matera
- Things to do in Rome
- Things to do in Palermo
- Things to do in Taormina
- Things to do in Catania
- Things to do in Split
- Things to do in Lazio
- Things to do in Puglia
- Cloister of San Francesco (Chiostro di San Francesco)
- Piazza Tasso
- Sorrento St. Anthony Basilica (Basilica di Sant’Antonino)
- Sorrento Foundation (Fondazione Sorrento)
- Correale di Terranova Museum (Museo Correale di Terranova)
- Via Capo
- Punta del Capo
- Baths of the Queen Giovanna (Bagni della Regina Giovanna)
- Mt. Faito (Monte Faito)
- Spaggia Grande Beach
- Marina Grande
- Emerald Grotto (Grotta dello Smeraldo)
- Coral Museum (Museo del Corallo)