Scent Courtyard (Cour des Senteurs)
A popular day trip from Paris, Versailles tends to attract visitors to its royal palace, and many never venture beyond its grounds. If you have the time to spare, get off the beaten path with a guided tour of the historic town of Versailles by horse and carriage, which typically includes stops at the Court of Scents, along with the Church of Notre-Dame, Place d’Armes, Potager du Roi, and the Versailles Cathedral.
Highlights of the Court of Scents include an orange blossom-perfumed fountain, the only Guerlain store in France outside Paris, and Maison Fabre, the only place in the world to purchase replicas of Marie Antoinette's two-toned, perfumed gloves.
Things to know before you go
- The Court of Scents is a must-visit for shoppers and those looking to escape the crowds of the Palace of Versailles.
- The Court of Scents is an excellent place to purchase authentic French gifts or souvenirs.
- Most shops and restaurants here take credit cards—no need to carry cash.
How to get there
The Court of Scents is located just steps from the main gates of the Palace of Versailles. The nearest train station is Versailles-Château–Rive Gauche on Line C of the Paris regional express suburban train.
When to get there
The Court of Scents is always open, but its shops and restaurants each maintain their own business hours. It’s a quiet, shady place to grab lunch and do some shopping before or after a visit to the palace.
The Birthplace of Modern Perfume
Versailles is considered to be the birthplace of the modern perfumer, and the Maison des Parfums within the courtyard offers a short history of perfume in France through several interactive displays.
- Marie-Antoinette's Estate
- Royal Opera of Versailles (L'Opéra Royal du Château de Versailles)
- Grand Trianon
- Versailles Royal Chapel (La Chapelle Royale)
- King’s State Apartment (Grand Appartement du Roi)
- Hall of Mirrors (Galerie des Glaces)
- Academy of Equestrian Arts
- Orangerie of Versailles (l’Orangerie de Versailles)
- Neptune Fountain (Bassin de Neptune)
- Versailles Fountains (Les Fontaines)
- Versailles Gardens (Jardins de Versailles)
- Grand Canal