Pioneer Yosemite History Center
Originally scattered in locations around Yosemite National Park, the historic cabins and shops on the site were moved to Wawona in the 1950s and 1960s to make way for new developments while also preserving Yosemite’s pioneer past. Visitors can wander around the old buildings and learn about pioneer history through exhibits in the History Center. Enjoy wagon rides, blacksmith shop demonstrations, and special programs in summer.
Things to know before you go
- Learn about Yosemite’s early residents at the Pioneer Yosemite History Center, a family-friendly attraction in the town of Wawona.
- Check out the Wawona Cemetery across the street from the museum and see the gravestones of Yosemite pioneers.
- The pioneer buildings were built in the 1800s so are not wheelchair-accessible, but they can be admired from the dirt paths that wind through the village.
How to get there
The Pioneer Yosemite History Center is located behind the general store in the town of Wawona, about 4 miles (6.5 kilometers) from Yosemite’s south entrance and about an hour’s drive from Yosemite Valley. Park in the lot by the post office or near the Wawona Visitor Center.
When to get there
Visitors can walk around the historic buildings at the Pioneer Yosemite History Center year-round, but sights like the blacksmith shop and jail are only opening in summer. The center is seldom crowded, so it makes a great spot to visit while traveling between Mariposa Grove and Yosemite Valley at any time of day.
Historic buildings at the Pioneer Yosemite History Center
The highlight of the Pioneer Yosemite History Center is the Wawona Grey Barn and Covered Bridge. All traffic heading in and out of Yosemite Valley once had to cross this bridge, constructed in 1857. The center is also home to the Pioneer Cabin, named after the first person to climb Half Dome. In addition, you’ll find an old blacksmith shop, Degnan’s Bakery, a cavalry office, ranger cabin, powerhouse, jail, and numerous other homestead cabins.
- Things to do in California
- Things to do in Napa & Sonoma
- Things to do in San Francisco
- Things to do in Sausalito
- Things to do in Paso Robles
- Things to do in San Luis Obispo
- Things to do in Pismo Beach
- Things to do in Santa Barbara
- Things to do in Las Vegas
- Things to do in Santa Monica
- Things to do in Los Angeles
- Things to do in Anaheim & Buena Park
- Things to do in La Jolla
- Things to do in Nevada
- Things to do in Arizona