With its traditional horse-drawn trams, elegant colonial buildings, and sandy shores; Victor Harbor is one of South Australia’s most charming seaside resorts. In a prime location along the southern coast of the Fleurieu Peninsula, it’s surrounded by surf beaches, wildlife-filled islands, and scenic coastal hikes.
Vacationers come to Victor Harbor to swim, surf, or sunbathe at the beaches; walk or cycle the many coastal trails; and enjoy outdoor activities—from ATV excursions to sea kayaking. Take a ride along the coast on one of the heritage SteamRanger trains; visit the South Australian Whale Centre; then walk or catch a horse-drawn tram across the causeway to Granite Island, home to a colony of wild Little Penguins. To explore further, boat cruises set sail from Granite Island to Seal Island and Wright Island along the Fleurieu Peninsula—where wildlife sightings include seals, sea lions, and bottlenose dolphins.
Things to know before you go
- Victor Harbor is a great destination for families—kids will love exploring the easy walking trails, visiting the many family attractions, and having fun at the seaside amusement park.
- There are numerous options for accommodation, dining, and shopping in Victor Harbor, and it’s easy to get anywhere in the town on foot.
- Many of the walking trails, including the Granite Island Causeway, are wheelchair- and stroller-accessible.
How to get there
Victor Harbor is located about 53 miles (85 kilometers) south of Adelaide, along the Fleurieu Peninsula. It’s just over an hour’s drive from the city. Buses run several times a week from Adelaide Central Bus Station station to Victor Harbor; about a 1-hour 40-minute journey.
When to get there
Summertime—December through February—sees crowds of locals and travelers descend on Victor Harbor, and it’s best to book accommodation and tours well in advance if visiting over this period. Look out for migrating Southern right whales along the coast from May through October.
Exploring the Fleurieu Peninsula
Stretching south of Adelaide, the Fleurieu Peninsula is home to some of South Australia’s most impressive coastline, lined with sandy beaches and lively seaside resorts. Victor Harbor makes an ideal base from which to explore. Head north to enjoy wine tasting in the McLaren Vale wine region; set sail along the Murray River, the longest in Australia; hit the beach at Port Willunga, Yankalilla, or Normanville; or spot wild kangaroos and exotic birds at the Deep Creek Conservation Park.
- Things to do in South Australia
- Things to do in Ballarat
- Things to do in Melbourne
- Things to do in Yarra Valley
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Queensland
- Things to do in Northern Territory
- Things to do in Western Australia
- Things to do in South Island