The most popular hike from Waterfall Gully runs 3 miles (4.5 kilometers) past six of the park’s seven waterfalls to the 2,330-foot (710-meter) Mt. Lofty Summit, which has a café, a visitor center, and a bus stop. It can take 1.5–3 hours depending on fitness, pace, and temperature. Tours are convenient and often stop at the Cleland Wildlife Park, home to a wealth of native fauna, including koalas, emus, wombats, kangaroos, and wallabies.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Temperatures in Adelaide can reach 104°F (40°C) in summer. Wear a hat and sunscreen and carry plenty of water.
- Mountain biking is not allowed in Waterfall Gully.
- The Mt. Lofty hiking route is not suitable for travelers who use wheelchairs, but an accessible asphalt path runs 1,000 feet (305 meters) uphill to the First Falls.
How to Get There
Waterfall Gully sits about a 7-mile (11-kilometer) drive southeast of central Adelaide. The Metro Adelaide Route 823 bus stops at the nearest bus stop, Cleland Conservation Park. Since the gully is about a 2-mile (3-kilometer) walk from there, most travelers opt to drive or join a tour with round-trip transport.
When to Get There
Waterfall Gully is open daily, with the gate at the Mt. Lofty Summit open until late in the evening. At times of high fire risk, the park may be closed. It’s best to avoid visiting at weekends, particularly during the Australian school vacations, when the trail can become extremely busy and parking impossible.
Cleland National Park
Between the city of Adelaide and the Adelaide Hills, Cleland National Park incorporates some of the Adelaide area’s most charming—and accessible—wilderness. Besides the Cleland Wildlife Park and Waterfall Gully, highlights include Mt. Lofty, the 6-mile (10-kilometer) Wine Shanty hike, and an extensive range of mountain biking trails.
- Things to do in South Australia
- Things to do in Ballarat
- Things to do in Melbourne
- Things to do in Yarra Valley
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Queensland
- Things to do in Northern Territory
- Things to do in Western Australia
- Things to do in South Island
- Cleland Wildlife Park
- Mt. Lofty
- Penfolds Magill Estate
- Haigh’s Chocolates Visitor Centre
- National Wine Centre of Australia
- Victoria Square
- Art Gallery of South Australia
- Adelaide Central Market
- South Australian Museum
- State Library of South Australia (SLSA)
- Migration Museum
- Rundle Mall
- Adelaide Zoo
- Parliament House
- Adelaide Oval