National Maritime Museum (Het Scheepvaartmuseum)
The National Maritime Museum is one of Amsterdam’s most popular museums so book a skip-the-line admission in advance to save time in lines. Admission is free with the Museumkaart and the Amsterdam City Card. Guided tours are available of the museum for an additional fee and free audio guides are available in eleven languages.
Things to know before you go
- One of the top family-friendly attractions in Amsterdam.
- Explore one of the world’s largest maritime collections.
- See a full-size replica of a Dutch East India ship.
- The museum restaurant features fantastic views over the water.
- The National Maritime Museum is accessible to wheelchairs and strollers.
How to get there
The National Maritime Museum is a 20-minute walk from Amsterdam Central Station along the Prins Hendrikkade and the Ij Bay. Alternatively, take bus 22 from Central Station IJzijde and get off at the Kadijksplein/Scheepvaartmuseum. The National Maritime Museum is also a stop on many hop-on hop-off sightseeing buses and boat tours of Amsterdam.
When to get there
The National Maritime Museum is open daily from 9am to 5pm. The museum is very large so it rarely gets crowded. The museum is busier on the weekends, so visit during the week and first thing in the morning for the best chance of avoiding any crowds. Also, make sure to purchase a skip-the-line ticket in advance.
The Dutch East Indiaman Amsterdam
The ship next to the museum is an exact copy of the 18th-century merchant ship of the Dutch East India Company, the Dutch East Indiaman Amsterdam, which was famously lost in the English Channel during her maiden voyage in 1749. The shipwreck was discovered off the coast of England in 1969 and can still be seen at low tide today. Visitors can hop aboard the boat, shoot cannons, hoist cargo, and enjoy a virtual reality experience aboard the ship.
- Things to do in Rotterdam
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Leeuwarden
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Stansted Mountfitchet
- Things to do in London
- Things to do in Hamburg
- Things to do in North Holland
- Things to do in South Holland
- Things to do in Flanders
- NEMO Science Museum
- Dutch Resistance Museum (Amsterdams Verzetsmuseum)
- Artis Amsterdam Royal Zoo (Natura Artis Magistra)
- National Holocaust Museum
- National Holocaust Memorial (Hollandsche Schouwburg)
- Portuguese Synagogue
- De Gooyer Windmill
- Jewish Historical Museum (Joods Historisch Museum)
- New Market Square (Nieuwmarkt)
- Rembrandt House Museum (Museum Het Rembrandthuis)
- Skinny Bridge (Magere Brug)
- Waterlooplein Market
- Zuiderkerk (Southern Church)
- Amsterdam Red Light District (De Wallen)