Red Light Secrets (Museum of Prostitution)
Discover the secrets of one of the world’s oldest professions with a tour of the Red Light Secrets Museum. Tour the museum on your own or as part of a walking tour of Amsterdam’s Red Light District also known as De Wallen. Purchase tickets in advance to save on museum admission or get discounted admission with the I amsterdam City Card at the museum.
Recent reviews from experiences in Amsterdam
Things to know before you go
- Visit the world’s only prostitution museum housed in a former brothel.
- Hear real-life stories from sex workers in their own words.
- Experience what it’s like to sit behind one of Amsterdam’s famous windows.
- If weary about exploring the Red Light District on your own, consider taking a guided walking tour.
- Red Light District tours are only suitable for adults and some tours may require proof of age.
How to get there
The Red Light Secrets Museum is located in the heart of Amsterdam’s Red Light District just steps from the Oude Kerk, Amsterdam’s oldest church. The museum is only a 10-minute walk from Amsterdam Central Station and 5-minutes from Dam Square. From anywhere in central Amsterdam, take tram lines 4, 14, or 24 to Dam Square or take the metro to Nieuwmarkt.
When to get there
Amsterdam’s prostitution museum is open daily from 10am until midnight. If you’re a solo traveler or apprehensive about visiting Amsterdam’s Red Light District, visit during the daylight hours before the district really comes to life. If you’re curious to see the district in action, the best time to visit is in the early evening before it gets too crowded, but you still get to see the red neon windows lit up at night.
Attractions in the Amsterdam Red Light District
Amsterdam’s Red Light District is more than just brothels and sex shops; it’s the oldest part of the city filled with gorgeous architecture and historic sites. Amsterdam’s oldest church, the Oude Kerk, is located in the center of it all and you can climb the church tower for fantastic views of the city. Attractions such as the Amsterdam Dungeon, Body Worlds, and the Rembrandt House all border the district.
- Things to do in Rotterdam
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Leeuwarden
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Stansted Mountfitchet
- Things to do in Cambridge
- Things to do in London
- Things to do in Hamburg
- Things to do in North Holland
- Things to do in South Holland
- Things to do in Flanders
- Old Church (Oude Kerk)
- Museum Our Lord in the Attic (Ons' Lieve Heer op Solder)
- New Market Square (Nieuwmarkt)
- Hash Marihuana & Hemp Museum
- Dam Square
- Body Worlds Amsterdam
- Museum of Medieval Torture Instruments
- Amsterdam Red Light District (De Wallen)
- Venustempel Sex Museum
- St. Nicholas Basilica (Sint Nicolaasbasiliek)
- Zuiderkerk (Southern Church)
- National Monument (Nationaal Monument op de Dam)
- Ripley's Believe It or Not! Amsterdam
- New Church (Nieuwe Kerk)