Visitors can enter and browse the exhibits of the ChocoMuseo for free. Exhibits are designed to be self-guided, though there are staff on hand to show you around and further explain the displays. For a more hands-on experience, opt for a chocolate workshop, during which you can make your own chocolate bar, as well as preparing and sampling Maya-style cacao drinks. If you’re on a tight time schedule or are traveling with children, you may want to opt for a shorter chocolate workshop instead.
The ChocoMuseo also hosts regular cooking classes that showcase Guatemalan cuisine. Learn how to make typical Guatemalan dishes such as pepián (traditional Guatemalan chicken stew). Some food-oriented tours of Antigua combine market visits and food tastings with a trip to the museum.
Recent reviews from experiences in Antigua
Things to know before you go
- The ChocoMuseo is a must for families, with hands-on child-friendly workshops available.
- Book workshops and classes in advance to secure your spot.
- Workshops include tastings and the opportunity to take home samples of the chocolates you make.
How to get there
ChocoMuseo is situated on Avenida 5a, about a block north of Antigua Central Park (Parque Central). The best way to get there is on foot: walking from Antigua’s bus terminal take 10–15 minutes.
When to get there
The ChocoMuseo Antigua is open daily from morning until well into the evening. Workshops take place several times daily. To avoid the biggest crowds, come right at opening or during the hour before closing.
Farm Visits Near Antigua
Expand your culinary knowledge of Guatemala with visits to local farms. While you won’t find any nearby cacao plantations—cacao thrives in the lowlands—you can visit several highland farms within easy driving distance of Antigua, including Valhalla Experimental Station, a family-owned macadamia plantation; Caoba Farms, a local enterprise producing a variety of organic produce; and Finca Filadelfia Coffee Plantation and Finca Los Nietos—both working coffee farms.
- Things to do in Central Highlands
- Things to do in Guatemala City
- Things to do in Panajachel
- Things to do in San Pedro La Laguna
- Things to do in Puerto Quetzal
- Things to do in San Salvador
- Things to do in San Pedro Sula
- Things to do in San Ignacio
- Things to do in Hopkins
- Things to do in Belize City
- Things to do in León
- Things to do in Ambergris Caye
- Things to do in Roatan
- Things to do in Western Highlands
- Things to do in Pacific Highlands
- Jade Factory and Museum (Jade Maya)
- Catedral de Santiago (Antigua Cathedral)
- Museum of Colonial Art (Museo de Arte Colonial)
- Antigua Central Park (Parque Central)
- Las Capuchinas (Convento de Las Capuchinas)
- Palace of the Captains General (Palacio de los Capitanes Generales)
- Santa Catalina Arch (Arco de Santa Catalina)
- Casa Santo Domingo (Monasterio de Santo Domingo)
- Church of San Francisco (Iglesia de San Francisco)
- La Merced Church (Iglesia de la Merced)
- Antigua City Hall (Palacio del Ayuntamiento)
- Cerro de la Cruz (Hill of the Cross)
- Pacaya Volcano