A self-guided tour of the Horta Museum takes you through the spaces that the Belgian architect designed, then lived and worked in, from 1898 to 1919. Wander as you like around the different floors, all of which boast their original mosaics, stained glass windows, and furnishings. Along with a video on Horta, photos and models of his other works provide additional perspective on his life and artistry.
Guided group and private tours with official museum guides are available. Or, explore the Horta Museum as part of an art-nouveau-themed tour of Brussels and nearby Antwerp. Some Brussels hop-on hop-off buses stop near the museum.
Things to Know Before You Go
Allow around an hour for your visit to the Horta Museum.
Photography isn’t allowed inside the museum.
The museum isn’t accessible to wheelchairs and strollers.
Visitors are required to store smartphones, bags, and coats in the provided lockers.
How to Get There
The Horta Museum stands at 25 Rue Américaine in Brussels’ Saint-Gilles neighborhood. Take tram 92 from the Royal Palace—or tram 81 or 97 from Bourse—to the Janson stop, then follow the Chaussée de Charleroi south before turning onto Rue Américaine on your left. If you’re on a hop-on hop-off tour, get off at Rue du Tabellion, a short walk from the museum.
When to Get There
The museum is open every day except Monday and public holidays. Check the museum’s website for current hours. Weekends and vacation periods tend to be busiest—and entry times are staggered, so be prepared for a short wait. For a less crowded experience, go late afternoon on a weekday.
Horta Museum Highlights
Victor Horta’s rich, elegant style shines out in his house and studio. Highlights include a stunning tiled and vaulted dining room, a glazed winter garden, and a swirling main staircase flooded with sunlight from a skylight. And don’t miss the art nouveau amenities in the bedrooms, including a urinal hidden in a cupboard.
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Rotterdam
- Things to do in Amsterdam
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Marne-la-Vallée
- Things to do in Paris
- Things to do in Leeuwarden
- Things to do in Stansted Mountfitchet
- Things to do in Horley
- Things to do in Flanders
- Things to do in South Holland
- Things to do in Nord-Pas de Calais
- Ciamberlani House (Maison A. Ciamberlani)
- Hotel Tassel
- Avenue Louise
- Hotel Solvay
- Halle Gate (Porte de Hal)
- Palace of Justice (Palais de Justice)
- Grand Sablon Square (Place du Grand Sablon)
- Sablon District
- Royal Museums of Fine Arts of Belgium
- Magritte Museum (Musée Magritte)
- Brussels Royal Palace (Palais Royal de Bruxelles)
- Museum of the Turn of the Century (Musée Fin-de-Siècle)
- Coudenberg (Former Palace of Brussels)
- BELvue Museum
- Musical Instruments Museum