One of a family of similar villages in Europe and Asia, Maasmechelen Village hosts global premium and luxury brands–from Nike to Samsonite, Armani to Le Creuset–all at great-value prices. Locals come here from Belgium, the Netherlands, and even Cologne in Germany to spend the day browsing, shopping, and eating at the wealth of on-site restaurants. Pop-ups from local artists and designers help keep things fresh, while discount cards can add value.
Things to know before you go
- The village offers free Wi-Fi and free phone charging. There’s also free Wi-Fi on the Shopping Express shuttle.
- Maasmechelen Village is stroller-friendly with plenty of play areas for kids.
- The village is fully wheelchair accessible, with a few wheelchairs available for customer use.
How to get there
The Maasmechelen Village sits outside the little town of Maasmechelen, about a 70-mile (113-kilometer) drive east of Brussels and a similar distance from Antwerp. Bus 45 links the village to Genk train station, but the easiest way to get there is to self-drive or book a package that includes the village’s Shopping Express shuttle from Brussels.
When to get there
Maasmechelen Village is open from morning until early evening, seven days a week. To beat the lines at the changing rooms, visit during the working week, particularly over peak periods such as Christmas.
Tax-Free Shopping at Maasmechelen Village
Visitors from outside the EU can save even more on their outlet shopping by claiming back up to 16% in VAT (Belgian sales tax)—provided each purchase has a value of at least €125.01 and leaves the EU within three months. Ask for the VAT refund form at the till, fill it in, then validate it at customs when you leave the EU. You can claim the refund at the airport or by mail.
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Rotterdam
- Things to do in Amsterdam
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Marne-la-Vallée
- Things to do in Paris
- Things to do in Leeuwarden
- Things to do in Stansted Mountfitchet
- Things to do in Horley
- Things to do in Flanders
- Things to do in South Holland
- Things to do in Nord-Pas de Calais
- Stella Artois Brewery
- Herge Museum
- Royal Museum of the Armed Forces and of Military History
- Art & History Museum
- Cinquantenaire Park (Parc du Cinquantenaire)
- Train World
- Autrique House (Maison Autrique)
- Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences
- European Parliament
- Museums of the Far East
- Belgian Comic Strip Center
- Brussels Royal Palace (Palais Royal de Bruxelles)
- BELvue Museum
- Coudenberg (Former Palace of Brussels)