Lennox Head offers something for all levels of activity. Adventure seekers can go hang gliding from the Lennox Point headland or kite surfing and sailboarding on the water—as well as surfing, of course. More relaxed outdoor activities include whale watching between May and November, strolling along the beach, and hanging out at Lake Ainsworth—a lake that is permanently stained by surrounding tea-tree tannins and said to contain rejuvenating properties. Here, visitors swim, stand-up paddleboard, kayak, and enjoy the picnic and barbecue facilities on-site.
If you’d rather just watch surfers carve up waves, head for the Pat Morton Lookout, which offers excellent views—this is also the ideal spot for watching whales.
Things to know before you go
- Lennox Head is a must-visit for surfers and outdoor enthusiasts.
- Beware of strong currents in the ocean.
- The area offers a decent selection of accommodation and restaurants.
- Protect yourself against the strong sun with a hat and sunscreen.
How to get there
Lennox Head is around a 25-minute drive south of Byron Bay. You can also get there by public transit, taking the NSW TrainLink Coach route B from Jonson Street in Byron Bay to Ballina Street in Lennox Head, just behind the beach.
When to get there
A great time to visit Lennox Head is on the second and (if applicable) fifth Sunday of the month, when the Lennox Community Market offers a great day of perusing stalls selling local produce and gifts. Keen surfers should also try to time a visit for the Lennox Longboard Classic, held every August.
Seven Mile Beach
At the southern end of Lennox Head, Seven Mile Beach is a pristine stretch of sand. Although this ‘best-kept secret’ is becoming more ever-more popular, it still offers a tranquil escape, as well as the opportunity to horseride along the beach, embark on a 4WD adventure, or follow trails through the bush.
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Gold Coast
- Things to do in Noosa & Sunshine Coast
- Things to do in Hervey Bay
- Things to do in Port Stephens
- Things to do in Hunter Valley
- Things to do in Sydney
- Things to do in Queensland
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in South Australia
- Things to do in North Island