A Food-Lover’s Guide to Cairns
With a tropical climate, abundant rain, nearby ocean, and cooler highlands inland, Cairns is not short on fresh produce. At restaurants, fresh fish and seafood tend to be the stars of the show, and there are many fun food-focused tours and activities available in the area. Read on to whet your appetite.
Australians are known to have perfected the art of serving coffee, and in Cairns you can top off this experience by sipping a locally produced brew with breakfast. In response to the city's hot climate, consider getting a tropical fruit-flavored gelato too.
For a more substantial meal, try some fresh fish or seafood such as Moreton Bay bugs, mud crabs, oysters, and prawns. Cairns cuisine is heavily influenced by Italy and Southeast Asia, so you can find many ways to enjoy the freshly caught seafood.
End the day with local liquor— whisky, rum, beer, and wine are all produced in the Cairns and Far North Queensland area. There are plenty of bars, pubs, and clubs in Cairns to sample. A local specialty is wine made from the tropical fruits that grow in abundance here.
- Join an Aboriginal-led tour of Cairns to learn how the local indigenous peoples traditionally catch, cook, and prepare their food.
- Tour a coffee and tea plantation in the highlands east of Cairns.
- If you like the idea of catching your own food, charter a boat or join a group fishing tour.
8 Tours and Activities
Cape Tribulation, Mossman Gorge, and Daintree Rainforest Day Trip from Cairns or Port Douglas
Cairns Combo: Scenic Reef Flight + Kuranda Skyrail + Scenic Rail
Boutique Atherton Tablelands Small-Group Food and Wine Tasting Tour from Cairns
Cairns City Sights and Surrounds Tour
2-Day Great Barrier Reef Combo: Green Island Sailing and Outer Reef Snorkel Cruise
Breakfast with the Koalas at Hartley's Crocodile Park from Cairns or Palm Cove
Cairns Estuary Fishing
Daintree Dreaming Traditional Aboriginal Fishing from Cairns or Port Douglas
- Things to Do in Cairns with Kids
- Romantic Things to Do in Cairns and the Tropical North
- How to Spend 2 Days in Cairns
- Things to Do in Cairns This Summer
- Don't Miss These Must-Do Activities in Cairns and the Tropical North
- How to Spend 3 Days in Cairns & the Tropical North
- Things to Do in Cairns This Winter
- A Food-Lover’s Guide to Cairns