Imizamo Yethu Township
Set near Cape Town, the Imizamo Yethu Township in Hout Bay Valley is relatively small when compared to some other South African townships, with just over 33,000 people calling it home. Living conditions are slightly better than they were under apartheid, but not as much as one might think.
Many of the houses in the township are simple metal shacks, little changed since the apartheid era, and certainly not ideal as housing. Others are new and sturdy homes, built by Irish volunteers in 2002.
It's a relatively short half-hour drive from Cape Town to Imizamo Yethu. Residents of the township give tours a few times a day for a fee. If you're lucky, you'll have a chance to let a sangoma read your future.
- World of Birds Wildlife Sanctuary and Monkey Park
- Hout Bay
- Rhodes Memorial
- Duiker Island
- Chapman’s Peak Drive
- Twelve Apostles
- Groot Constantia
- Silvermine Nature Reserve
- Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden
- Camps Bay
- Aquila Private Game Reserve
- Table Mountain and Cableway
- Iziko South African Museum
- South African National Gallery