Most of the Mayan temple that stood on this site has been torn down, but a small archway remains, and it is enough for you to visualize what daily life may have been like at the time of the Mayan civilization. Visitors can view the ruins, alongside a small church, as well as the village of El Cedral as it stands today. Tours of Cozumel usually include a stop in El Cedral.
Things to Know Before You Go
There are vendors selling embroidered handicrafts, jewelry, and more in the village.
Because it’s a small site and takes a short time to visit, there are no tours of El Cedral alone, but the sight is included in broader tours of Cozumel.
The annual Festival de El Cedral takes place from late April to early May.
How to Get There
El Cedral is located off the Carretera Costera Sur highway between kilometers 17 and 18 in Cozumel. It’s a 30-minute drive from the airport. Some motorcycle and buggy tours of the visit the village. During the annual Festival de El Cedral, buses regularly depart from the parking lot across from Chedraui, near the airport, to accommodate the crowds.
When to Get There
The site is open daily from sunrise to sunset. In late April, you can catch the annual Festival de El Cedral, celebrating local artists, music, and traditions. During the festival, the village is packed with visitors and vendors, and the atmosphere resembles a state fair, with games, rides, and entertainment. Many of the events take place in the afternoon and evening.
Another archaeological site on Cozumel, El Caracol is located within the island’s Punta Sur Eco Beach Park. Snail sculptures used to adorn the dome of the tiny temple, along with rows of actual snails embedded in the stucco; hence the name El Caracol, which means “snail” in Spanish. Tours of Cozumel usually include stops at El Cedral and El Caracol.
- Things to do in Riviera Maya & the Yucatan
- Things to do in Playa del Carmen
- Things to do in Tulum
- Things to do in Cancun
- Things to do in Costa Maya
- Things to do in Merida
- Things to do in Ambergris Caye
- Things to do in Belize City
- Things to do in Hopkins
- Things to do in San Pedro Sula
- Things to do in Grand Cayman
- Things to do in Panajachel
- Things to do in San Pedro La Laguna
- Things to do in The Cayes
- Things to do in Central Highlands
- Punta Sur Eco Beach Park (Faro Celerain Ecological Reserve)
- Cozumel Museum (Museo de la Isla de Cozumel)
- Plaza del Sol
- Discover Mexico Park Cozumel
- Santa Rosa Wall
- Cozumel Cruise Port
- Tormentos Reef
- Paradise Reef (Paraíso Reef)
- Columbia Reef
- Cozumel Reefs National Marine Park
- Corona Beach (Playa Corona)
- San Gervasio Mayan Ruins
- Playa Mia Grand Beach Park
- The Mayan Cacao Company
- Mr. Sancho's Beach Club Cozumel