Baldi Hot Springs
Baldi Hot Springs offers day packages as well as overnight options at an adjoining resort for guests who want to extend their spa experience. More than 20 naturally heated pools range in temperature from 93 to 152 degrees Fahrenheit (34 to 67 degrees Celsius), getting hotter as the elevation rises. The volcanic minerals in the water are believed to have benefits for the skin and body circulation. Adventure seekers and families with kids can enjoy some splashy thrills with extreme waterslides and cascading waterfalls.
Baldi Hot Springs is a common stop on day trips from San Jose. Combo tours may include a soak in the springs plus a hike along mountain trails or hanging bridges at nearby Arenal Volcano National Park.
Recent reviews from experiences in Guanacaste and Northwest
Things to know before you go
- Baldi features two restaurants plus a handful of bars; some prepaid packages include a discount on meals and drinks.
- Day-use lockers and towels are available to rent.
- Don't forget sunscreen, as some of the pools are not shaded.
- Balance time spent soaking with other activities, since core body temperature rises after about 20 minutes in hot water.*
How to get there
Baldi Hot Springs is located just minutes from the town of La Fortuna in Costa Rica’s Alajuela province. It's about a 3-hour drive from San Jose. Despite its proximity to Arenal Volcano, the resort is outside of the designated volcano risk zone, so it’s perfectly safe to visit.
When to get there
The resort is open all year round. Hotter temps and sunnier skies prevail in Costa Rica's dry season, from November to April, while the wet season (May through October) often brings afternoon rainstorms.
Arenal Volcano National Park
A restorative soak in Baldi Hot Springs is the perfect way to end a day exploring the hiking trails, lakes, and jungles of Arenal Volcano National Park. Visitors can get up close to treetop flora and fauna on a series of elevated walkways, or explore volcanic fields and lava tubes from previous eruptions on a guided hike or horseback ride. If you can’t wait to get wet, the park’s La Fortuna Waterfall offers the perfect place to cool off during a daytime trek.
- Things to do in Santa Cruz
- Things to do in Playa Flamingo
- Things to do in Tamarindo
- Things to do in Playa Hermosa
- Things to do in Liberia
- Things to do in Sámara
- Things to do in Central Pacific
- Things to do in Central Valley
- Things to do in Caribbean Coast
- Things to do in Monteverde
- Things to do in Puntarenas
- Things to do in Pacific Highlands
- Things to do in Central Highlands
- Things to do in Western Highlands
- Eco Termales Fortuna
- Monteverde Cloud Forest Biological Preserve
- Monteverde Butterfly Gardens
- Caño Negro Wildlife Refuge (Refugio Nacional de Vida Silvestre Mixto Caño Negro)
- Las Pumas Rescue Center
- Miravalles Volcano
- Llanos de Cortés Waterfall
- Vida Aventura Nature Park
- Rio Negro Hot Springs
- Rincon de la Vieja National Park
- Palo Verde National Park
- Dino Park Blue River
- Diamante Eco Adventure Park
- Santa Rosa National Park
- Tamarindo Beach