Dino Park Blue River
Guides lead visitors on an exploration of the park's private rain forest reserve, offering historical trivia on robotic residents like a Triceratops, Velociraptor, and the king of them all—a towering Tyrannosaurus rex. Guests are welcome to pose in front of the robots for playful, Instagram-worthy photos. The park is part of the popular Blue River Resort, featuring spas, mineral hot springs, mud baths, and adventures like zipline and horseback riding tours.
Day trips to Dino Park depart from cities around Costa Rica and usually include a tour of the park, a hot springs soak, and other activities like a hike along the nearby Penjamo River.
Things to know before you go
- The Dino Park is a great option for families with kids and fans of Jurassic Park.
- Although the dinosaurs seem at home in the Costa Rican jungle, the country was actually underwater during prehistoric times.
- If you're planning to enjoy the hot springs, pack a swimsuit, towel, flip-flops, and sunscreen.
How to get there
The Dino Park Blue River is located in northwest Costa Rica, in between Guanacaste National Park and Rincón de la Vieja National Park. Regional roads are rough and winding, so it's best to arrive on a guided tour or via a shuttle from Liberia airport (LIR).
When to get there
The park is open year-round. Expect drier, hotter weather during Costa Rica’s dry season (November to April) and muddier paths during the rainy season (May to October). It takes about an hour to walk through the entire Dino Park.
Rincón de la Vieja National Park
Home to a pair of volcanoes and spanning the Cordillera de Guanacaste range, this protected reserve is one of the best places in Costa Rica to explore both pristine rainforests and mountain landscapes. Popular activities include hiking on volcanic trails, horseback riding, and swimming in natural waterfall pools. The park also offers prime wildlife watching opportunities, so keep an eye out for howler monkeys, tapirs, pumas, and tropical birds like the mot-mot.
- Things to do in Santa Cruz
- Things to do in Playa Flamingo
- Things to do in Tamarindo
- Things to do in Playa Hermosa
- Things to do in Liberia
- Things to do in Sámara
- Things to do in Central Pacific
- Things to do in Central Valley
- Things to do in Caribbean Coast
- Things to do in Monteverde
- Things to do in Puntarenas
- Things to do in Pacific Highlands
- Things to do in Central Highlands
- Things to do in Western Highlands
- Rincon de la Vieja National Park
- Rio Negro Hot Springs
- Vida Aventura Nature Park
- Miravalles Volcano
- Llanos de Cortés Waterfall
- Santa Rosa National Park
- Las Pumas Rescue Center
- Palo Verde National Park
- Caño Negro Wildlife Refuge (Refugio Nacional de Vida Silvestre Mixto Caño Negro)
- Diamante Eco Adventure Park
- Baldi Hot Springs
- Eco Termales Fortuna
- Monteverde Butterfly Gardens
- Monteverde Cloud Forest Biological Preserve
- Tamarindo Beach