Eco Termales Fortuna
Among the most natural hot springs in Costa Rica, family-owned and run Eco Termales has springs heated from the heart of the Arenal Volcano. They’re also one of the most romantic and least crowded hot springs in the area, limiting admission to no more than 80 guests twice daily to ensure visitors can enjoy dips in peace surrounded by the rainforest.
Eco Termales has six volcanic hot springs, a freshwater waterfall, and two pools. In addition to dipping in the therapeutic waters, visitors can walk along well-lit trails through the rainforest, drink cocktails and fresh juice from the poolside bar, and enjoy Costa Rican-style meals at the on-site restaurant. To visit, make reservations directly through the Eco Termales website, and choose to visit during the day or night.
Things to know before you go
EcoTermales operates in two schedules: 9am to 4pm and 4pm to 9:30pm
The hot spring temperatures range from 99°F to 106°F (37°C to 41°C).
The restaurant serves traditional lunches and buffet-style dinners.
Facilities include spacious restrooms, changing rooms, lockers, and towel rentals.
How to get there
The hot springs are located just outside La Fortuna and are best reached by car. Take route #142 3.5 miles (5.6 kilometers) west of town and turn right on Hotel Eco Termales after passing the Volcán Look Disco and Super Tropicana La Palma Market. It’s a 10-minute drive but too far to walk. Public transportation in the area is limited.
When to get there
The hot springs are open year-round. Visit during the morning time slot from 9am to 4pm or the night time slot from 4pm to 9:30pm. Costa Rica is typically warmest and sunniest from November through April—high tourist season—and sometimes torrentially wet in summer from June through September.
Hot springs in La Fortuna
Eco Termales claims to host the only truly volcanic hot springs in the area, but there are other hot springs and spas worth visiting at the foot of the Arenal Volcano. Baldi Hot Springs Resort Hotel & Spa lies across Highway 142, while Arenal Springs Resort lies just up the road. Tabacon Hot Springs lies along the highway near the entrance to Arenal Volcano National Park.
- Things to do in Santa Cruz
- Things to do in Playa Flamingo
- Things to do in Tamarindo
- Things to do in Playa Hermosa
- Things to do in Liberia
- Things to do in Sámara
- Things to do in Central Pacific
- Things to do in Central Valley
- Things to do in Caribbean Coast
- Things to do in Monteverde
- Things to do in Puntarenas
- Things to do in Pacific Highlands
- Things to do in Central Highlands
- Things to do in Western Highlands
- Baldi Hot Springs
- Monteverde Cloud Forest Biological Preserve
- Monteverde Butterfly Gardens
- Caño Negro Wildlife Refuge (Refugio Nacional de Vida Silvestre Mixto Caño Negro)
- Las Pumas Rescue Center
- Miravalles Volcano
- Llanos de Cortés Waterfall
- Vida Aventura Nature Park
- Rio Negro Hot Springs
- Rincon de la Vieja National Park
- Palo Verde National Park
- Dino Park Blue River
- Diamante Eco Adventure Park
- Santa Rosa National Park
- Tamarindo Beach