Fed Square, as its known to the locals, is impossible to miss on your trip to Melbourne. A majority of tours, whether to explore the city or venture outside, dub the plaza as a central meeting point. The square itself features a number of interesting landmarks such as the historic Flinders Street Station, the Australian Centre for the Moving Image (ACMI), the Ian Potter Centre, St. Paul’s Cathedral, and the placid Yarra River just behind it.
Things to Know Before You Go
Every train coming from the suburbs reaches Federation Square from Flinders Street Station, so it’s a central meeting place for most people and tours.
You’ll find public, disabled-accessible toilets next to the Time Out Cafe.
Hearing loops are available for those with audio impairments to enjoy the various presentations on the square’s giant screen.
How to Get There
Located in the heart of Melbourne, Fed Square is just a few minutes’ walk from the main shopping districts of the Central Business District (CBD). There are many trams, trains, and city buses that stop at the square. Federation Square is also located within Melbourne’s Free Tram Zone, making it an easy and convenient meeting point for travelers.
When to Get There
Federation Square is Melbourne’s main transportation hub, so it is advised to stay away during morning and evening rush hour times. Visit during the mid-morning and early afternoon for a more relaxed stroll around the landmarks. The square also hosts more than 2,000 events throughout the year, most notably the Melbourne Food & Wine Festival in March, the International Comedy Festival in April, and the Melbourne Festival in October.
A Place for Community
Federation Square isn’t just for tourists—Melburnians gather there throughout the week for various activities. Free guided morning meditations happen every Thursday, while a massive book market held every Saturday in the atrium boasts over 5,000 new and secondhand titles. You can take the kids to an ArtPlay workshop, or jog with locals along the banks of the Yarra River.
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in Yarra Valley
- Things to do in Ballarat
- Things to do in Hobart
- Things to do in Adelaide
- Things to do in Sydney
- Things to do in Hunter Valley
- Things to do in Port Stephens
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in South Australia
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Queensland
- Things to do in South Island
- Visiting the Little Penguins
- How to Pick a Great Ocean Road Tour
- Wine Tasting in Yarra Valley
- Melbourne Street Art
- Shopping in Melbourne
- Holiday & Seasonal Tours
- Sightseeing on a Budget in Melbourne
- Don't Miss These Must-Do Activities in Melbourne
- Things to Do in Melbourne This Fall
- Things to Do in Melbourne This Spring
- Top Parks and Gardens in Melbourne
- Art Lover's Guide to Melbourne
- First-Timers Guide to Melbourne