Milan Gallery of Modern Art (Galleria d'Arte Moderna Milano)
Milan’s Gallery of Modern Art (also known as GAM) features works from the 19th-century onward, spanning the neoclassic and post-impressionist eras. The beautiful 18th-century Villa Reale is filled to the brim with artwork, statues, and reliefs focused on mythological subjects. Audio guides are available for those who would like to learn more about the museum collection and history of the villa before it became a museum.
Things to Know Before You Go
The museum is fully accessible to wheelchairs and strollers, and wheelchairs are available for visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
GAM provides free entry, guided tours, and educational projects for disabled visitors.
Non-flash photography is permitted within the museum.
How to Get There
GAM is located on the second floor of Villa Reale and can be reached by metro via the red or yellow lines (to the Palestro or Turati stop, respectively). It’s also possible to take the city bus or tram to nearby Piazza Cavour.
When to Get There
The museum is open Tuesday to Sunday and is closed on Mondays and some holidays. Milan is quite crowded during summer and the spring Fashion Week, so plan to arrive outside of those time frames if you want to avoid crowds.
Fit for Royalty
The Count of Milan built Villa Reale in the late 1700s, and it served as an entrance point for those arriving from Vienna. It features a neoclassical design and carvings by the same craftsmen who worked on the Milan Cathedral (Duomo di Milano). Napoleon purchased the extravagant home after the count’s death and used it as his summer home during his time as president of the Italian Republic.
- Things to do in Lombardy
- Things to do in Ferno
- Things to do in Lake Como
- Things to do in Parma
- Things to do in Genoa
- Things to do in Langhe-Roero and Monferrato
- Things to do in Turin
- Things to do in Verona
- Things to do in Davos
- Things to do in Lucerne
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Zurich
- Things to do in Piedmont & Liguria
- Things to do in Swiss Alps
- Porta Nuova
- Bagatti Valsecchi Museum (Museo Bagatti Valsecchi)
- Quadrilatero d'Oro
- Via Monte Napoleone
- Via della Spiga
- Poldi Pezzoli Museum (Museo Poldi Pezzoli)
- Brera Art Gallery (Pinacoteca di Brera)
- La Scala Opera House (Teatro alla Scala)
- Leonardo3 Museum
- Corso Buenos Aires
- Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II
- Piazza Fontana
- Milan Duomo
- Fidenza Village
- Skip the Line for the Last Supper
- All Milan Skip the Line Tours
- Shopping in Milan
- Milan in 3 Days
- Lake Day Trips from Milan
- Romantic Things To Do in Milan
- Venice Day Trips from Milan
- Top Nightlife Experiences in Milan
- Milan Neighborhood Guide
- Top Parks and Gardens in Milan
- Swiss Alps Tours from Milan
- Milan for Art Lovers