The Quadrilatero d’Oro, or the Golden Rectangle, is the center of high fashion in Milan—a district filled with luxe boutiques, swanky bars, smart cafés, and cool restaurants. The windows boast the latest haute couture from high-end labels such as Chanel, Gucci, Armani, Versace, Valentino, Prada, and Dolce & Gabbana.
The Quadrilatero d’Oro is located just north of the Milan Cathedral (Duomo di Milano) and is a beautiful area to walk around. For those without the deep pockets for these high-fashion stores, the window displays alone are worth a gander and give visitors a taste of the high life. Book a tour of Milan’s fashion district to learn more about the industry and how the city came to be a center for style and design.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Quadrilatero d’Oro is a must-visit for fashionistas.
Wear comfortable shoes as most of the district’s streets are cobbled.
Along with high-end shops, you can also find cinemas, bookstores, cafés, and department stores in the area.
How to Get There
The Quadrilatero d’Oro is located in the center of Milan, at the crossroads of Via della Spiga, Via Manzoni, Via Sant’Andrea, and Via Montenapoleone. To arrive by public transit, you can take the M3 metro line to Montenapoleone and walk three minutes down Via Montenapoleone. Alternatively, the district is a 15-minute walk from the Duomo and Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II.
When to Get There
Many of the shops in the Quadrilatero d’Oro are open Tuesday to Sunday from 9:30am to 7:30pm and on Mondays from 3:30pm to 7:30pm. Shoppers can score great deals on haute couture during Italy’s two national sales periods, in January and July.
The History of the Golden Rectangle
The brands might be new, but the streets surrounding the Quadrilatero d’Oro have always been a place of high society. Interspersed among the haute couture boutiques are old mansions once owned by Milanese nobility. Today the Poldi Pezzoli and the Bagatti Valsecchi Palazzo are house-museums and the Palazzo Morando is home to the city’s fashion museum.
- Things to do in Lombardy
- Things to do in Ferno
- Things to do in Lake Como
- Things to do in Parma
- Things to do in Genoa
- Things to do in Langhe-Roero and Monferrato
- Things to do in Turin
- Things to do in Verona
- Things to do in Davos
- Things to do in Lucerne
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Zurich
- Things to do in Piedmont & Liguria
- Things to do in Swiss Alps
- Via Monte Napoleone
- Bagatti Valsecchi Museum (Museo Bagatti Valsecchi)
- Via della Spiga
- Poldi Pezzoli Museum (Museo Poldi Pezzoli)
- La Scala Opera House (Teatro alla Scala)
- Porta Nuova
- Leonardo3 Museum
- Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II
- Brera Art Gallery (Pinacoteca di Brera)
- Milan Duomo
- Milan Gallery of Modern Art (Galleria d'Arte Moderna Milano)
- Fidenza Village
- Piazza Fontana
- Museo del Novecento
- Skip the Line for the Last Supper
- All Milan Skip the Line Tours
- Shopping in Milan
- Milan in 3 Days
- Lake Day Trips from Milan
- Romantic Things To Do in Milan
- Venice Day Trips from Milan
- Top Nightlife Experiences in Milan
- Milan Neighborhood Guide
- Top Parks and Gardens in Milan
- Swiss Alps Tours from Milan
- Milan for Art Lovers