Church of San Bernardino alle Ossa (Santuario di San Bernardino alle Ossa)
Seek out this chapel to experience a place of worship decorated with human bones, either independently or on a city tour. San Bernardino alle Ossa is often included on tours along with landmarks such as the Duomo and Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie, home toThe Last Supper. Join a walking, bike, or bicycle-powered rickshaw tour as a convenient way to see Milan's attractions, including the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II, Sforza Castle, and La Scala opera house.
Things to Know Before You Go
Those who love offbeat attractions find a visit to this remarkable ossuary fascinating.
As San Bernardino alle Ossa is a place of worship, wear attire covering shoulders and knees.
The church is accessible to wheelchairs.
Photographs can be taken inside the ossuary, though with discretion and respect for the sanctity of the site.
This attraction may not be suitable for young children or the squeamish.
How to Get There
San Bernardino is located a short walk from the Duomo between Via Verziere and Piazza Santo Stefano in central Milan. Capital city of Lombardy, Milan is well-connected by train to Florence, Rome, and Venice for an easy day trip.
When to Get There
The church is open daily except Sundays, though it closes briefly at midday. The ossuary is one of the quieter, off-the-beaten-path attractions in Milan, so visit during the peak hours of the day when the city’s more famous sites may be crowded with tourists.
The Odd History of Milan’s “Bone Chapel”
The origins of San Bernardino alle Ossa date to the 12th century, when the adjacent hospital and cemetery ran out of space to bury the dead. Bones were stored in a room off the church's main nave, and over time they were integrated into the decor. Today, this chapel contains more than 3,000 skulls, tibias, femurs, and other human bones.
- Things to do in Lombardy
- Things to do in Ferno
- Things to do in Lake Como
- Things to do in Parma
- Things to do in Genoa
- Things to do in Langhe-Roero and Monferrato
- Things to do in Turin
- Things to do in Verona
- Things to do in Davos
- Things to do in Lucerne
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Zurich
- Things to do in Piedmont & Liguria
- Things to do in Swiss Alps
- Piazza Fontana
- Fidenza Village
- Milan Duomo
- Royal Palace of Milan (Palazzo Reale di Milano)
- Museo del Novecento
- Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II
- Via della Spiga
- Leonardo3 Museum
- Church of Santa Maria at San Satiro (Chiesa di Santa Maria presso San Satiro)
- Piazza Mercanti
- La Scala Opera House (Teatro alla Scala)
- Poldi Pezzoli Museum (Museo Poldi Pezzoli)
- Quadrilatero d'Oro
- Codex Atlanticus
- Ambrosiana Museum and Library (Veneranda Biblioteca Ambrosiana)
- Skip the Line for the Last Supper
- All Milan Skip the Line Tours
- Shopping in Milan
- Milan in 3 Days
- Lake Day Trips from Milan
- Romantic Things To Do in Milan
- Venice Day Trips from Milan
- Top Nightlife Experiences in Milan
- Milan Neighborhood Guide
- Top Parks and Gardens in Milan
- Swiss Alps Tours from Milan
- Milan for Art Lovers