Atwater Market (Marché Atwater)
Together with Jean-Talon Market in Little Italy, Atwater Market is among Montreal’s most popular markets. Visitors can explore the site independently, enjoying samples of the various gourmet goodies for sale then sitting down for some people-watching. Organized bike tours of Montreal often make stops at Atwater Market, as well as riding by other waterfront sites such as the Old Port and the Lachine Canal.
Things to Know Before You Go
Atwater Market is a must-see for foodies.
The market is partially wheelchair-accessible.
Bring a reusable shopping bag and cash, as not all vendors accept foreign cards.
How to Get There
Atwater Market is located in Little Burgundy (Petite Bourgogne), near the Lachine Canal. Ride the green or orange metro line to Lionel-Groulx; the market is just a 5-minute walk from there. Alternatively, grab a bicycle from Montreal’s BIXI bike-share system and follow the canalside cycle path to the market.
When to Get There
Open daily, Atwater Market is at its biggest and best in summer, when additional vendors set up shop in the exterior sections of the market. During the warmer months, buskers often perform in the surrounding streets. Arrive early and enjoy breakfast courtesy of a local bakery, and watch as the crowds begin to stream in.
What to Eat at Atwater Market
No matter what time of the year you visit, you’ll find tasty treats on offer at Atwater. The Poissonnerie du Marché Atwater is the place to go for fish fresh from the waters off Canada’s east coast. Boucherie de Tours sells pork, poultry, beef, and game, and Fromagerie Hamel serves up cheeses from throughout Quebec. Maple products are also commonly sold at the market, with everything from maple taffy and maple butter to the classic syrup on offer, while Première Moisson promises bread, cakes, and pastries.
- Things to do in Quebec
- Things to do in Salem
- Things to do in Boston
- Things to do in Toronto
- Things to do in Niagara Falls
- Things to do in Buffalo
- Things to do in Niagara Falls & Around
- Things to do in Long Island
- Things to do in New York City
- Things to do in Brooklyn
- Things to do in Philadelphia
- Things to do in Pittsburgh
- Things to do in Washington DC
- Things to do in New York
- Things to do in Massachusetts
- Place des Arts
- Montreal Botanical Garden (Jardin Botanique de Montréal)
- Crescent Street (Rue Crescent)
- Montreal Museum of Fine Arts (Musée des Beaux-Arts)
- Les Cours Mont-Royal
- Dorchester Square (Le Square Dorchester)
- Grevin Museum (Musée Grévin Montréal)
- Montreal Underground City
- McCord Museum
- Lachine Canal (Canal de Lachine)
- Montreal St. Patrick's Basilica
- Old Port of Montreal (Vieux Port de Montréal)
- Mount Royal
- Iberville Passenger Terminal (Port of Montreal)
- Two Days in Montreal
- Wine Tasting in Montreal
- Montreal Walking and Tram Tours
- Haunted Montreal
- Wine and Beer Tasting in Montreal
- How to Spend 3 Days in Montreal
- How to Spend 2 Days in Montreal
- How to Spend 1 Day in Montreal
- Haunted Montreal
- Quebec City Day Trips From Montreal
- Things to Do in Montreal This Winter